How do I even approach this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

The picture below is the largest round out of all if them. 1/2 are around 2.5 ft diameter and the other 1/2 are around 3ft diameter. The maple is 15 minutes away and free (can't imagine why?!) How will my huskee 22 ton do on this, or dont even waste my time. There is a total of 6 cords for the taking.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350087286272.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350087286272.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 192
I would purchase a hernia belt frst.;)

It looks like they are already cut to size. You might be surprised that you may be able to split it by hand to get it into manageable chunks. Try start on one side and wack all the way across in a line, maple splits pretty easy. I think the 22 ton will do the job if you can roll the pieces to the splitter or move the splitter to the pieces.

wow thats one big round, my lil 6ton electric would have a hard time with those rounds. I would prob sledge and wedge them in quarters or more to make it easier to handle.

The picture below is the largest round out of all if them. 1/2 are around 2.5 ft diameter and the other 1/2 are around 3ft diameter. The maple is 15 minutes away and free (can't imagine why?!) How will my huskee 22 ton do on this, or dont even waste my time. There is a total of 6 cords for the taking.

That's a great score that's close too.Even though its a big job to tackle.I'd rent or borrow a 70cc+ saw for a few days,have a buddy or two help if possible also.Your splitter shouldnt have any trouble busting them up if its running good already.

Go for it! Pop'em in 1/2's or 1/4's with the sledge and wedge if need be to make them more manageable.

Is all of it cut to length already???? If so, that is absolutely a no-brainer.

pen

Reactions: ScotO
Most of it is 18". Perfect! The guy is an owner of an apt complex. I'm actually wheelin and dealin as we speak. Hes talking about paying to have them removed, so I'm waiting on a friend to help. We are at 400 bucks, down from 5. We shall see. I promised a guy tomorrow id help fell an oak tree, but may be too windy.

Put some plunge cuts in the thing in a pie shape, start a wedge in the cuts, & I'll bet they split pretty well.A C

Thx for the info guys. We'll see what happens when it happens

I'd take a maul with me and split them on the spot. It would be a lot easier to move them in quarters than whole.

Reactions: Thistle and quads
Rent/ borrow trailer-- roll on,roll off where u want to split&stack=less pain in back side.

Does your splitter go vertical? Roll 'em over to the splittee and bust 'em up...

You know the rules, WS .......pics.or it never happened! ;) Go for it buddy, sounds like you'll be set for a while with that score! That's almost a whole years worth of wood!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
These can't be rolled, unless the jolly green giant was around. My splitter goes vertical, so I will bring that when I go, as well as sledge and wedge. Will post pics when I go, today I have a large oak to handle.

Reactions: ScotO
Before you do anything that commits you, take one and see how it splits. I had the opportunity to take a big Maple like that and it was 6 miles away. I took a few rounds and when I tried to split them on the 28 Huskee, it was more than an chore. Splitter went through it fine from a power standpoint, problem was the wood itself. The worst grain and splitting charectoristics I have ever dealt with. I did not return for any more of that wood and it was free. Literally took 20 minutes to break down one round. Even I have my limits.

Before you do anything that commits you, take one and see how it splits. I had the opportunity to take a big Maple like that and it was 6 miles away. I took a few rounds and when I tried to split them on the 28 Huskee, it was more than an chore. Splitter went through it fine from a power standpoint, problem was the wood itself. The worst grain and splitting charectoristics I have ever dealt with. I did not return for any more of that wood and it was free. Literally took 20 minutes to break down one round. Even I have my limits.
Probably a yard bird?

WS, bring an extra wedge or two in case the tree is like Myway's description above and the first one gets buried.

Maple splits pretty easy doesn't it?
At least the bit of maple I split a couple years ago split pretty easy.

Ya bring your camera, or better yet, shoot some video.

I think I may have been dealing with a Rock Maple. Not sure. It was a monster though. Everything I had just to get a round up onto a trailer. Think I took 4 rounds in the first trip and never went back. Hated to leave free wood, but I had a whole lot of other sources that were much more time efficient scrounges.

some maple splits easily, some is brutal, like any species.

my free wood is almost exclusively big-a$$ rounds. i noodle 'em and 1/4 'em and throw them on my truck. if my wife or son is there to help me hoist them we can get some big rounds up on the tailgate...up to 2' depending on the species. even the 1/4's are sometimes mighty heavy.

my thoughts while i'm doing this are:
1. am i stupid, crazy or both?
2. damn...this sucker is going to warm my house for 2 days!
3. please don't drop it on your foot or drop any other body parts

also: your 22 ton splitter will have no problem going thru that. if it flinches, just split off from the sides.

Never give up! ::-)

Attachments

• PICT0043.JPG
    PICT0043.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: Realstone
Status
Not open for further replies.