How do I extend a clay flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Duck

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2009
Central PA
My house has a clay or tile lined flue and I want to extend the flue a little higher to help move the smoke away from the house. The flue is probably 25 ft high and draws air pretty well through the stove, but the problem is that smoke coming out of the flue often gets pulled/swirled into the eddy downwind of the house (which means in the front yard most of the time). After a reload, when there is enough visible smoke, I can see this happening - the smoke plume is partially pulled down and swirls downwind of the house. On windy days the front yard tends to smell a little smoky, and when the door is opened that smoky smell comes into the house. My wife does not enjoy the smoky smell and I don't really like the idea of breathing smoke so I want to eliminate this problem. I think that extending the flue a few feet will help keep the smoke out of the eddy.

My flue is clay/tile inside a brick chimney. At the top of the chimney the round clay flue extends about 4 3/4 inches above the concrete, which seems to put it about 2 or 3 feet higher than the peak of the roof. This is a rectangular house with a single long peak running north/south along the length of the house. THe wind normally blows from the west. The chimney is on the west (windward) side of the peak of the roof. The front door is on the east side, which is where the smoke usually swirls.

The flue is 7 1/2 inches outside diameter, and 6 1/2 inches inside. Is insulated steel pipe made in a diameter that will work for this? How should I attach an extension onto the 4 3/4 inches of clay flue extending out of the chimney? Are there pieces such as chimney toppers made for this type of clay flue, which seems to be pretty standard around here. Does anyone have a better idea than extending the flue?

There are some nice extenders which connect to the clay. Craig, webmaster, i think owns a company that makes some.

Otherwise more clay tiles and brick. Call a mason or qualified sweep for that.

Could reline with SS and go taller maybe..

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.