how do I finish this install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triacon

Oct 8, 2012
20131025_200619.jpg 20131025_200608.jpg 20131025_200404.jpg
my dad had a fireplace insert and liner installed a year ago. a chimney sweep came to do a cleaning and proposed to my dad that he have the following things done: the guy wants to cut the clay flue flush to the concrete crown, add a top plate as well as cut the jagged metal liner, and finally install a large chimney cap that sheds rain etc from the chimney crown. is all this work really necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it looks as though someone used a rabid beaver to trim the liner, I'm guessing the sweep thinks removing some of the terracotta is the only way he has enough material to make a proper top?

Was he proposing to cut the terracotta on both flues and using a cap over both and perhaps that's why he's suggesting to remove it?

But, at the end of the day the sweep is right, the liner should not be left loose like that.

pen

yes, awful cut for sure.
I think he said he would cut the clay flush on both. and the cap would cover everything... wants 550.00 to do the job. is it really necessary? Or are they trying to rip an 86 -- year old man off?

I have a dual chimney just like this. Clay liner. Rigid single walled pipe all the way up. My clay liner stick out about 1 foot past the chimney cap just like this. Neither the chimney inspector, sweep, or liscense stove and liner install guy said anything about the clay liner being a problem.

However, your liner has been cut flush with the clay flue...so that could be the issue at hand and why they are suggested cutting the clay flue down... My rigid pipe comes about 8-10 inches past the clay liner with a cap on top.

That liner is pretty twisted and I'm guessing a twisty tug at the top just might get you enough liner to work with a regular cap.

With both flues at the same height is there smoke smell coming out of the other one? I'm wondering if an extendaflue would work here?

www.extendaflue.com

I would not cut the clay liner flush. He has a serviceable cap already. A plate could be created for protection against driving rain to seal the gap between the metal liner and clay flue. It appears there is enough material left on the metal liner to work with as is.

I would detach the liner from the stove, pull it up, and add a 12" piece of rigid stainless steel pipe to it. Then I would drop it down, attach it to the stove, pack around the liner at the top with ceramic wool and install a top plate with a storm collar and a new cap. Cutting the clay tile down just seems like more work than you could ever possibly need to do.

Yea I would not cut it. If he is worried about the crown they make a pain table thing that you put on there to protect the concrete top from water.

Crown Coat is some kick-ass stuff as well. I suggest it even on a perfectly good crown.

Rocky said what I could not remember the name of.

Buy a stainless "appliance adapter" that is used to connect liners at the bottom to fireplace inserts and a liner top plate. Attach the appliance adapter to the liner after cutting the rough edges off even and then install the top plate and the cap.

Reactions: Oregon aloha
That chimney crown is just fine. Wish mine was in that good of a shape.

Whatever you do, you should have a top plate on the flue with the liner and a cap for it (liner should be cut evenly). And if the other flue is working it should also have a cap. With two flues in one chimney like that often a single large cap is used as pictured.

But two caps and one plate would suffice. Something like a deluxe terra cotta top plate with hinged cap for the one (no cutting down clay) would be about $150. or so for the material. Maybe $50 for a cap for the other flue. Plus labor. Whether you should cut down flush (and then you can use the less expensive type of flush top plate -- attach to crown (vs. terra cotta top plate attaches to clay) depends on having adequate flue (height) at present and as Begreen indicates if there's a problem with exhaust from one flue getting sucked into the other, a height difference might be a good idea.

Last edited:
The top plate and cap is going to bring the liner flue up enough to handle down drafting situations.

Edit to add. If he does a separate cap on the liner. If he goes with the double cap he just has to see if it down drafts and if it does you then put a tall cap on the flue with the liner.

You can glue a normal tioplate to the top o f a terracotta tile?

You can glue a normal tioplate to the top o f a terracotta tile?
Absolutely! All that is needed is to pull that liner up, attach a top plat and cap. I would be really surprised if there wasn't enough liner left to attach a top plate to!

Yea I know I was saying like confused why you would not use a normal one when he is trying to save money. In this case he does not want to use a $100 cap when a $30 one will work.

A standard top plate with a clamp and cap is all that is needed. It can be trimmed to fit the 8x12 clay.

Status
Not open for further replies.