How do I fix a rust spot on my steel plate Fisher Papa Bear wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cfox13

Jul 23, 2011
Yarmouth ME
Hello,

I bought a used Fisher Papa Bear wood stove last year as a back up heating supply and ended up heating my whole house last winter. It's down in my basement and I love it.

I just noticed there is a rust spot on the top of the stove. How would I go about fixing this? I went to my local hardware store and found stove paint. The paint said it was for cast iron and did not mention steel plate.

Some do it your self sites have suggested bringing the stove outside, sand blasting the entire stove down to the bare steel and repainting. This stove is such a beast, it almost killed me getting it down into the basement. I would prefer not to do this, but want to do the right job.

If anyone has any insight as to how I could fix this rust spot, I would appreciate it.

THX!

Craig

Take a wire brush to remove the majority of the rust. Clean, then go over the area with steel wool. Vacuum dust free and then wipe with alcohol. Once dry, spray with successive light coats. Open all windows when painting and put a fan in one to exhaust fumes. Wear a vapor mask if this is Stove Brite or Thermolux (sp?) paint.

What brand paint does your hardware store sell?

Shouldnt matter too much. 99% chance it will work if done exactly like BG Said.

Status
Not open for further replies.