How do I heat it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
The framing of my detached garage (shaped like a guest house) is nearing its completion and a big question looms overhead. How the heck should I heat it? Of course I could just throw a stove in there and heat it during its occassional use. The real problem is I dont know how often it will be occuppied and need heat. Heating another 2000 sq ft is not going to be an easy task. I'm not sure I want to deal with 2-3 stoves all winter. I think this dilema could be asily soved by an OWB. An OWB would ease my mind because I wouldnt have to worry about the house burning down - hmm maybe I should clean the chimneys this year. But I do like watching the fire and being close to my source of heat. I dont know, I just have a feeling that using an OWB to heat both will involve lots of wood. Heck, even the stoves will be using a good deal more wood than i use now. Maybe I shoudl just heat it with electric and see how that goes. Man, this is going to take some thinking and my brain hates me right now. Any suggestions?

IMG00239-20101002-0847.jpg

For starters 1" foam board Insulation over the vapor barrier and duct tape all the seams. Then use blown in insulation inside the walls. As for heating... electric with stove backup or OWB if you got the $$ and wood?

BTW Nice garage!

Don't know what the money situation is but......if your considering an OWB really look at the GARN units. You can put the Garn in the building and easily heat both the house and mini house with one with less wood than you think from what I've read. I do t have one it's just an opinion.

Charlie

If you can afford a garage almost as big as my house, I have no sympathy for what it costs you or how much work it is to heat it. :lol:

BTW: Nice looking building.

ckarotka said:
Don't know what the money situation is but......if your considering an OWB really look at the GARN units. You can put the Garn in the building and easily heat both the house and mini house with one with less wood than you think from what I've read. I do t have one it's just an opinion.

Charlie

I like the Garn but have no idea how this works. It doesn't need a chimney?!?! That thing is huge. I guess it has its own water storage. I am really afraid to ask the price and I didnt see one on their website. Time to do some research.

What you are going to find out is the same thing my neighbor discovered. We built his "shop/garage" twenty years ago and it looks like a carbon copy of yours. Almost a third larger than his house. Hated sheathing that steep roof with 3/4" inch plywood. But, the area he uses the most for his shop he heats very well with one of those much maligned VZ box stoves. You won't be heating the whole joint, just the "man cave" portion of it. In his case that is half of the downstairs. Since the pipe runs through the upstairs it does a pretty good job of providing heat up there too.

Rockey said:
ckarotka said:

Charlie

I like the Garn but have no idea how this works. It doesn't need a chimney?!?! That thing is huge. I guess it has its own water storage. I am really afraid to ask the price and I didnt see one on their website. Time to do some research.

watch the video they have about past buyers it's neat to see. I believe they are around 10-20k depending on the size. A big OWB is around 10k and eats wood. It vents out the back and doesn't smoke at all and the exhaust it cool temp wise. I think they offer 3 sizes. Post in the boiler section of hearth.com and you will get some answers. I did some minor research for my BIL who needed to heat 7000sqft. He went with a regular OWB and isn't really satisfied plus needs 10 cord a year.

BrotherBart said:
What you are going to find out is the same thing my neighbor discovered. We built his "shop/garage" twenty years ago and it looks like a carbon copy of yours. Almost a third larger than his house. Hated sheathing that steep roof with 3/4" inch plywood. But, the area he uses the most for his shop he heats very well with one of those much maligned VZ box stoves. You won't be heating the whole joint, just the "man cave" portion of it. In his case that is half of the downstairs. Since the pipe runs through the upstairs it does a pretty good job of providing heat up there too.

For this winter I will probably just zone heat like that since it wont be anywhere near fully completed for about a year.

I really like the garn idea for the long term. There is one for sale on ebay not to far from me for 10.5k. Then there is the pex and God knows what else. Thats a lot of dough for heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.