How do I install a cap on a 6 inch liner where it hits the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red5

Jan 26, 2011
Kentucky
I have about 12' of this 6' tube. I have a base to seal from the insert into the chimney. It's a large chimney. I've been told I need to have another base where teh tube enters the small part of the chimney. How do I mount something in an area I can not reach?

The liner should be a bit longer than you need. 12 ft is very short, usually liner's come in 5' increments of length and get trimmed afterward. Is this flexible or rigid stainless liner? You may need an extension to get past the damper. It the damper throat is narrow it may need to be cut or removed.

It's a flexible one. Looking to have a smoke buffer between the large area inside the chimney where it goes into the small part that goes out teh top.

I am extremely confused. A cap goes on the top of your chimney on the exterior of the house. It attached to the one of your liner and rest atop the chimney. The other end of your liner will connect directly to the insert boot that is required for your stove. It sounds like you may be asking about a block off plate, but I can't tell.

For other views, here is his other thread with photos of the insert, the liner and the fireplace: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69474/

Status
Not open for further replies.