How do I keep electric flowing to zone valve and circulator pump but by-pass to the beckett burner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertlk

Nov 30, 2008
Hopatcong, NJ
I have tied a wood boiler into my oil burner. How do I keep electric flowing to zone valve and circulator pump but by-pass to the beckett burner? I would like the circulator pump and zone valves operational. So far I've disconnected the black and white wire from the aquastat where ir says "burner" but I think that these "Burner" wires need to be connected for the juice to flow to the zone valve and pump.

Ideas please?????

Don't know if this is 'according to Hoyle', but I just put a switch in the line after the circulators, but before the oil burner.

House circulators can continue to function as before -- just no oil burner. You have to realize though that when the wood boiler fire goes out, those circulators will continue to attempt to take heat out of the system and thus lower the temperatures maybe way below what is a good idea.

As I look at the thing now, I realize that the best place for the switch is right at the oil burner terminal box. That way, the oil boiler aquastat will still work, and I can use the 120v AC there to toggle the tank circulators when the house system calls for heat.

I probably can't help much without seeing a wiring diagram but I have a similiar issue solved on paper by using a relay between the burner and the boilers to disable the burner and selecting the alternative fuel source. The burner would use the normally closed relays contacts and the alternative heat source would use the normally open contacts. The coil would use a control scheme such as an aquastat and separate power source as a permissive for the alternative fuel source. Taco makes a series of relays that could do this at about 30 bucks each. Wish I could help more.

Mike

I don't know how new-fangled oil boilers work, but mine has a pair of contacts in its control box which turn on the oil boiler when they're shorted together. I use a relay to prevent them from being shorted together anytime that the wood or storage is hot.

If you want to use the oil boiler circ, then you'd want a relay to energize it based on what's happening with the wood boiler.

Here's how you would disconnect the burner only on my Carlin. Just disconnect one end of the jumper wire, that isolates the burner off line. The controls are still operational and should have a safeguard against cold water. Mine will not circulate water if the temp is not up to a previously set temp.

Attachments

• DSC00853.JPG
    DSC00853.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 596
On the burner control is "TT" = thermostat, and 5-6 = burner ignition.

I have an aquastat between the 5-6 and the burner. If the wood boiler is > 140, boiler won't start. Circulator between WC90 and oil boiler set at 140.

Im not sure what you want to do ? but if you want an easy way to disable the burner but keep everything else the same . unplug the line to the burner or cut it and add a switch . connect your circulator to the circulator bolts on the terminal relay box. or what ever you call it. that way when the house system calls for heat the circulator will come on instead of the burner.

Honeywell... shuts off at high temperature. Adjustable, set to shut off 5-6 power when WC90 temperature gets to 140 degrees, same temperature circulator starts at on another aquastat.

Thanks for your help.....
I don't know much about this stuff. I learn as I go. I have a Honeywell aqua stat and everything flows through it. I also disconnected a wire on the burner reset but the burner blower motor came on. All I want to do is keep the burner from firing.
Presently, I turn off the emergency switch and then run the wood boiler. I have a bypass toggle switch that I turn on when I want the circulator pump to run. When I want hot water, I turn off the bypass and turn on the burner emergency switch.

I just did this last weekend on my boiler. Ended up mounting an electrical switch box on the side of the aquastat control on the oil boiler. Put a toggle switch in the new switch box. Disconnected the "red" wire in the aquastat control box from the "L1" connection. Took that disconnected red wire which runs down to the burner and connected it to the new toggle switch. Then took the other leg of the toggle switch and connected it to the "L1" terminal on the aquastat control. Works great, when I fire up my wood unit the zone valves and circulator work as expected but the burner on the oil unit won't fire if the toggle switch is off. When switched on, the burner fires up.

robertlk said:
I have tied a wood boiler into my oil burner. How do I keep electric flowing to zone valve and circulator pump but by-pass to the beckett burner? I would like the circulator pump and zone valves operational. So far I've disconnected the black and white wire from the aquastat where ir says "burner" but I think that these "Burner" wires need to be connected for the juice to flow to the zone valve and pump.

Ideas please?????

If you set your oil boiler aquastat to the lowest possible temp(probably140f), disconnect the hot wire from the burner (inside the aquastat relay box on the side of your oil boiler), install a strap on aquastat on the supply side of your wood boiler to act as a switch (same as said toggle switch in other posts), hook one side of the strap on aquastat to the burner wire and the other side to the terminal where you removed the burner hot wire. Make sure the SO aquastat opens high and set it for say 100f . Doing this you will cut power to the burner only when the wood boiler is hot and if your fire goes out the oil will take over.

A quick and easy way to hold off your Beckett burner is to remove the jumper from tt on the primary control for the beckett burner (this is the controll with the reset button on it dirctly mounted to the burner) then hook up a regular thermostat using tt hooked to R and W on the thermostat. Set the new thermostat 5 to 10 degrees lower than your desired house tempeture. This will allow the oil boiler to kick on if your wood boiler is not running and thus prevent your house from freezing up.
Total cost in materials approx. $30

This is something I will be doing soon, when I start my wood boiler I turn the high limit on my oil boiler down all the way, this keeps the burner from starting. However tonight I forgot to do this so when my circulator started on the oil boiler so did the burner, as the boiler loop got to the high limit it shut down my wood boiler, so here I am heating my house and the tank with oil, stupid.
I will be using a different approach I am going to use a relay that will be normally closed when the blower on the wood boiler is not running, this will allow the burner to run. Once I start the blower on the wood boiler, this relay will open and not allow the burner to run, when the timer times out and the blower stops back to normal operation, oil burner will work. This way I will not have to remember to turn back the set point on the oil burner. The relay is only $6.95 here http://www.newark.com/36K7543/switc...ic-components-ly2-ac110-120&_requestid=274994

Steve

That looks like it would work well in your application.. I did something similar to an indirect water heater so that the circulator would only run if the wood boiler circulator was on. This way I could preheat my water going into my oil fired water heater. Would you use the relay socket or could you just use slide connectors on the relay?? The aquastat on the wood boiler loop is also a great way of determining the wood boiler is out on an updraft boiler which has no blower. I love all this differnt ideas that come up. They help bread more ideas...

Dredknot said:
That looks like it would work well in your application.. I did something similar to an indirect water heater so that the circulator would only run if the wood boiler circulator was on. This way I could preheat my water going into my oil fired water heater. Would you use the relay socket or could you just use slide connectors on the relay?? The aquastat on the wood boiler loop is also a great way of determining the wood boiler is out on an updraft boiler which has no blower. I love all this differnt ideas that come up. They help bread more ideas...

I will just use the slide connectors no need for the socket, I will be using the same relay for my back up power supply in case of power outage.

Steve

I have my boilers set up just as I explained earlier and it works well. The oil boiler set at 140f is adequate for backup, so it can be left there.

Status
Not open for further replies.