How do I keep my Franklin stove from reverse drafting when not used?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I have a Quadra Fire 4300 Millennium that I use in my basement. I have a Franklin stove on the first floor. I use the Franklin rarely because it is inefficient and borderline safe. I've come to find that the room it is in is a little cooler around the stove.

What I'm wondering is, does that upstairs stove act as an outside air kit and draw in cold flue air that is then pushed down stairs to the Quad? My theory is cold air falls, so why wouldn't it push down the chimney and vaccum towards the Quad?

Does any body have any advice on how to counteract this? Thanks.

More likely it's other things (bathroom and kitchen fans, furnace, etc.) bringing in air and creating a negative pressure.

Not much you can do about it - that is, not much you can do to make the chimney updraft all the time....except perhaps an electric draw collar
http://www.drawcollar.com/

or rigging up some kind of a really tight temporary flue seal which you can use when the stove is not in use.

stuff some balled up newspaper up the pipe inside the stove. not to tight. if you forget to remove the paper and light to the stove smoke will come back into the house until the newspaper in the pipe burns and then done.

Take the piece of junk out and block off the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.