How do I know for sure an insert will fit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnStewart113

Sep 23, 2016
Pennsylvania
I have a pretty standard looking fireplace and would love to put a quad mt Vernon or Harmon accentra in the hole but the back of the fire place tapers and I'm not sure how adaptable these inserts are. If anyone has any idea it would be greatly appreciated as I'm a pellet newbie and just hoping to make this oil heat home a bit more efficient.

I have a pretty standard looking fireplace and would love to put a quad mt Vernon or Harmon accentra in the hole but the back of the fire place tapers and I'm not sure how adaptable these inserts are. If anyone has any idea it would be greatly appreciated as I'm a pellet newbie and just hoping to make this oil heat home a bit more efficient.

If you're purchasing new just take a pic of the existing fireplace, then draw out the depth, the width at the front and back, and the height front and back. Any reputable stove store will be able to suggest / supply what you need.

If going used decide on a model you like, then search online for an installation manual. If you've gone through the steps with a stove shop you already know what to look for.

The stoves are not adaptable at all in my experience. They either fit, or they do not. If not, you would have to modify your opening.

I removed a very inefficient propane insert and installed an Accentra insert with the zero clearance box. I measured the opening and determined that the zero clearance box would just fit, and it did. Best heating move I made - until the price of pellets went through the roof, but that is a separate discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.