How do I lube the electric blower on my federal airtight FA267CL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leighton

Jan 8, 2015
georgia
FullSizeRender.jpg Happy new year all!
My blower sounds like the bearings are going out. I was hoping there was a way to oil them or if they need to be replaced there was a way to do it without having to replace the whole blower unit.

hi leighton welcome to the forum. most small motors like that don't have any oil holes. they were meant to be throw away motors. if you take apart the motor completely you'll find sealed bearings or sleeve bearings. and in the ends sometimes are small round pieces of felt that hold grease or oil but if your motor is screaming the bearings might be to far gone. replacement at a motor shop might be in the range of 75 to 150 dollars. if you are going to take apart the motor housing you might want to save yourself the hassle of multiple remove and replace and just get a new motor and do it once.

frank

Leighton, my old FA264CCL Freestanding Dutchwest's original blower motor has two well marked holes on the top of the motor. The holes were at the end of the motor over top of the bearings. I oiled them once or twice a year. I agree with Frank if they are screaming it is probably too late. Good Luck LA

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question fbelec and Crab. This is what I've done so far, I took the motor out of the housing and spayed some gun oil onto the shaft just under the fan while the fan was in motion. The squealing stopped and it's been quiet so far. Hope this helps anyone that reads this thread in the future.

if you have oil ports put some transmission fluid in them. really good oil. i find that 3 in one oil does not like getting hot and turns itself into sludge. marvel mystery oil is another good one. maybe even better if you can put up with the smell. if it's your front bearing try putting a few drop onto the where the shaft comes thru the bearing to go to the fan blade. do this with the shaft facing up move the shaft with your hand up and down and at the same time spin it. that will work oil all the way thru the bearing the oil the ports and install you'll either get a few years out of it or a week depending on how bad that bearing is works for me everytime.

I have a small intake fan in front of my hearth, basically a Fasco bathroom exhaust fan that squealed. Tried silicone grease to 3 in 1 all worked for a hour to a day then the noise again. Had some CRC 2-26? cleaner/lube I used in the pots on my sons amp and gave it a squirt. Haven't heard a sound in a month and it runs 24/7. Maybe it's because it's been running continuous but it worked. If you lube the fans at the end of the season, DO NOT use WD-40; it will crystallize in the bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.