how do i modify my proposed pallet burner into a functional gasification wood boiler???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gardenlog35

Aug 24, 2014
dorchester, nh
hi everyone,

i'm new here. i have a cool set of plans for a outdoor wood pallet burner. the problem is that i know that it is not going to be efficient enough as designed. so i'm taking it upon myself to modify the base design of this boiler and i'm going to make it into a gasifier boiler for my house and my garage. i have a basic design and concept on what i want to do. i just need a little help with a few of the fine details. i know all about firewood ( never burned oil in my life) so I've got al that down. i'm new with the gasification process, but i'm eager to learn how to make it work. i'm intermediate on google sketch up (CAD program for designing), so once i get the numbers i need ill be able to mock up a picture with measurements. i have a lot of questions refering to the secendary burning process, ratios between primary and secondary burn chambers, the hi temp motor/fire brick, and how to engineer the "nozzle" if i could have someone who has anything that could help me out it would be greatly appereciated. im trying to get it finished by this winter because my house will not have any heat otherwise. i have pictures and the designs so far if anyone would like to give me a hand.

thank you,
Graydon

Just my 2 cents here, forget this idea, go buy a gasser someone has already done all this engineering work on. Not as simple as "I want to build a wood stove". I don't believe you'll ever get the true gasser performance from a pallet burner, which is pretty much just a 3rd world furnace. The time & money spent on this trial & error task could be better spent on something worthwhile.

hi everyone,
i'm new here. i have a cool set of plans for a outdoor wood pallet burner. the problem is that i know that it is not going to be efficient enough as designed. . i have pictures and the designs so far if anyone would like to give me a hand.
thank you,
Graydon

Don't really know what a pallet burner is. Post pictures, plans, and your proposed modifications.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/giving-a-jetstream-base-new-life.76371/.

High temp refractory and the quality stainless steel needles that bind the mix are not cheap, proper curing can be tricky and is the difference between success and failure.

Air ratio and mix is very critical.The Jetstream uses a two stage vacuum cleaner motor that produces 99 cubic feet per minute for successful combustion. I once tried a slightly larger motor at 120 cubic feet per minute. The change in volume and pressure was astounding and with big negative results. Combustion temperatures went from around 2,000 F to over 2,600F with noticeable disintegration of the refractory after just one batch burn.
You have a challenging project ahead of you that might take more than just one or two attempts to get it right. What you are proposing is not impossible, but researching all aspects of the construction to get things right the first time will take time maybe a year or more !

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/first-post-my-water-boiler-build.111459

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...r-based-on-the-design-by-richard-c-hill.68593

Welcome to "Hearth "

Reactions: TCaldwell
i applaud your enthusiasm, but a gasification pallett burner is a true oxymoron! In order to achieve repeatable gasification you have to control combustion, then wanting to burn probably the most uncontrollable type wood fuel possible in a batch burn would be a time bomb. As someone who has spent years and alot of coin and a understanding family on my modified garn, flat out i agree with mike van, espically if you are under a time constraint. Sorry, I'm sure this is not the help you were looking for.

Reactions: Frozen Canuck
And then, even if you did get it to burn close to the way you wanted it to, you would have the issue of getting the heat into the water before it goes up the chimney.

I'll take some pictures of what is built so far. Basically just the water jacket. It's a big steel box right now. I'm a decent fabricator and welder. I don't have a problem making anything, I just need some terms defined and some ratios figured out. I've studied a few gasifiers and my design is possible to make it work I just need the right ratios for what I have. Basically take what I've seen and make it bigger. It doesn't have to be a state of the art, best of the best gasifiers. I'm looking to head it in the right direction so I can make it perfect in the future. But the way the designs show how to build the pallet burner just doesn't seem logical because all that unburnt fuel is going straight up the chimney instead to being used. Like I said I'll draw up a rough design and take pics of what I have so far. Please if everyone could see the bright side of it. With more than Just my mind on it, I'm sure we could make it work.

Thank you
Graydon
Just my 2 cents here, forget this idea, go buy a gasser someone has already done all this engineering work on. Not as simple as "I want to build a wood stove". I don't believe you'll ever get the true gasser performance from a pallet burner, which is pretty much just a 3rd world furnace. The time & money spent on this trial & error task could be better spent on something worthwhile.[/q

Status
Not open for further replies.