How do I move pole wood from a pile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forby

Oct 14, 2008
Northeastern PA
I'm getting a delivery of 8 cord of pole wood this morning. They are bringing 22 foot logs on a tri-axle with a crane mounted on the bed. They said the pile would be 7-8 feet high and 15 feet wide!!! I just realized that I don't really know how to move logs off of the top of the pile. I don't like the idea of "riding the pile" with a pike and pushing logs off the top. I'm in a residential area and these logs will be in my driveway or maybe on my front lawn. I need to be concerned about logs rolling off and into the street or into my cars!!

I will try to get the loggers to pile the logs as low as possible. I have a jeep with a winch and I have thought about using chain and winch to pull from a safe distance.

Is it considered proper to climb the pile and chainsaw rounds from the top and let them tumble down?

Any and all pointers appreciated.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good work out, I just want to keep my legs and arms!!!!!

Waiting for an answer with my coffee and a fire going.....

I used a chain and hooked to my and yanked them out. Once you see the pile it will be easier know what to do.

Did you pull from the long end or the side? Was the pile stable after the pull? I may be limited to which end I pull from because of my limited space.....

Thanks for the quick reply!!! My coffee is still warm!

I got a load of logs last year. I climbed on top and did it that way but I had space considerations-it wasn't the safest thing to do. It'd be best to do it on the ground.

If you can't spread it out, strap it together. Load binders, straps and ratchets, etc. Try and make the pile as safe as possible then start cutting your rounds off the ends.

22' long? Is that a girlie load or something? We get 60 to 70' log loads out here.
If you can cut them where they are piled is the best thing. It is difficult to move a 70' log. BUT they roll easily. There is a fancy pioneer type tool to help roll it but they don't like to turn corners if you know what I mean.
We just cut off the ends. The pile does get walked on but it is not a comfy feeling. I would not want to be standing on the pile if it decided to obey the laws of gravity. Cut one log as far as you can, move to something else, then you will see another opening etc.
Have used a rope to pull logs off the top with my truck (I don't have a winch). Works well

Just get two friends with saws and have a wood cutting party. Pay them in beers and some cut wood.

I would think rolling the logs off and around is easier. I would put down some small trees/logs/4x4s on the side of the pile to roll the logs onto so cutting them is a breeze.

I had the same apprehension but just went for it. Trees around here don't grow perfectly straight and you'd be suprised how they lock together when they are unloaded. Most good loader operators will nudge the logs to lock them together when they unload them, so ask for him to do that. I climbed up on top of mine before I started cutting and it didn't move at all. Remember those logs weigh several hundred pounds each and there are a lot of them and you only weigh a fraction of one log. Climbing on top shouldn't make them all fall down.

Once you start sawing you'll soon realize how the pile is sprung and which logs are strained and holding the pile back. Cut above those logs to take as much weight off and when you do cut it make sure you can get away quickly with no cut pieces behind you. If you have to move quick just leave thes saw. A bar and chain, or even a saw for that matter, will cost less than a broken bone and being out of work for a while.

forby I think your concerns are justified, you're right to ask them to spread them out. With Halloween coming up they're a kid magnet.

I hear you on your hesitation. I just got my first tri-axle load delivered today about 2 hours ago.... Going out to the site right now where I had them delivered, I would have had them in the front yard also but decided to deliver them to my parents place in the country. I'll post pictures when I get back and see your opinions.

We (cousin & I) had two log loads delivered recently. Mostly about 40' long. The driver/operator who delivered them first picked with his grapple and set down three logs lying E-W, spaced nicely apart. Then he piled everything else neatly up on those N-S. Keeps the bulk of the wood off the ground, and when it's time to buck the next one, we nudge it off the pile & let it tumble down onto the "spacers", and have at it. We also have a couple of "Timberjacks" from Northern Tool that are useful. We don't go climbing up on the log pile with chainsaws...we bring the wood down to us a log at a time and work it there. Rick

EDIT: This is what I'm talkin' about:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23505/

forby said:
I'm getting a delivery of 8 cord of pole wood this morning. They are bringing 22 foot logs on a tri-axle with a crane mounted on the bed. They said the pile would be 7-8 feet high and 15 feet wide!!! I just realized that I don't really know how to move logs off of the top of the pile. I don't like the idea of "riding the pile" with a pike and pushing logs off the top. I'm in a residential area and these logs will be in my driveway or maybe on my front lawn. I need to be concerned about logs rolling off and into the street or into my cars!!

I will try to get the loggers to pile the logs as low as possible. I have a jeep with a winch and I have thought about using chain and winch to pull from a safe distance.

Is it considered proper to climb the pile and chainsaw rounds from the top and let them tumble down?

Any and all pointers appreciated.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good work out, I just want to keep my legs and arms!!!!!

Waiting for an answer with my coffee and a fire going.....

I wouldn't even hesitate to climb a pile of logs and start cutting. I'm not saying it's safe, or that it's not a bad idea. I'm just saying I'd do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.