How do I OAK my insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmittjames

Oct 29, 2010
central ct
So, i know this is the big controversial thing, but if there is a way to boost my stove, I'd love to do it. I've got the Greenfire M55I Insert -- same as the Enviro. I believe i know this Central CT dealer who swore off all OAKs... I have been digging around on here and online in general, but I have yet to find something that would work for my install. I've got a typical CT colonial house, and my insert is in the fireplace in the living room. There is a sunroom directly behind the fireplace, so I cannot go through the wall to outside. Is there a way to do it all the way up the chimney? is that too far?

Please direct me if i have missed something!

I don't know if its technically "OAKing" but my fireplace was built with a small grate in front that was an air inlet from the outside. Its built into the side of the chimney. Before installing the insert I pulled the grate and vacuumed it really well. I then put the insert up on 1/2" roller bars (same ones I used to roll the insert around) so the bottom of the insert is not cutting off the air channel. I stopped short of modifying my stove by cutting a hole in the bottom directly over the air inlet. I'm kinda paranoid about UL listings. The back and sides are blocked with rockwool and when I want to completely cut it off I just push the hearth rug up against the stove when its not running. Not really necessary because there's very little air flow when the stove isn't pulling a draft. Besides, if I'm not running the stove its not that cold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.