How do i pass through this wall into my chimney...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpr921

Nov 7, 2015
Western MA
I am currently in the process of finishing off my basement, and the biggest problem that wont get out of my head that i need an answer to since i am now sheet rocking is what to do about getting my stove pipe into the chimney... I have a 7 inch flue port that i need to transition too from my 6 inch stove. What do i need to safely make this happen?? All of thimbles that i find are too wide as i have this steel post right next to the port. There is some room behind it to mount something directly onto the chimney block about 2-3 inches. Some of the thimbles online might work but i am not sure without seeing them in person. This is a 2x6 wall that i am planning to finish off with 5/8 fire code rock. Thanks in advance!

20151107_143123_zps9p70cdsh.jpg

20151107_143222_zpsuminr95i.jpg

20151107_143137_zpsogqopcfx.jpg

I'm wondering if double-wall connector could be used? How close is the nearest wood (stud) to the left and to the right? Would you be opposed to leaving that area raw 6" away from the opening in all directions?

I'm thinking you could do this with double-wall connector pipe. It's about 6.5" OD and has 6" clearance requirements to the nearest combustibles on the side and 9" above it. That would save doing any size increase. The pipe would need to have a seal for a snug fit. For that I would probably use stove gasket packed in around the pipe. It should end flush with the inside wall of the chimney. Measure and mark the pipe in advance for correct depth when in place.

Anyone else see why this would not work?

Awsome, thank you i havent seen or looked into those yet seems like it would work to me! Will this pipe finish off at the edge of the sheetrock where ill transition to single wall? Will i need to cut atleast 6 inches of sheetrock all the way around then fit with a huge collar? Or is there another route.. thanks!

No transition to single-wall, keep it double-wall to the stove. I would leave the wall open to the studs and concrete and at least 9" above top of the thimble and at least 6" below.

Ah i see what youre saying, my plan is to have this be a finished wall, is there anyway to do this with a clean finish?? Any other ideas? I see alot of stove pipes going directly into a sheet rock wall theres got to be some sort of a way to do it with this set up?

Go to the Articles forum and read the passing through a wall article. There youll find several options. It sounds like you may want to use a close clearance thimble. Besides those listed in the article Selkirk also makes a similar solution.

My basement is very similar. Whoever built the house mortored a 2 foot piece of class A chimney in the block to use as a thimble. I just used a 6 inch single wall slip connector to fit into that and then connected the stove with regular single wall to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.