How do I properly hook up my wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deere Man

Oct 14, 2009
North West Indiana
I have an older Shenandoah wood stove. I'm not sure what model it is but i saw a picture of an R77E and it looks just like that one. Mine has the pipe to the chimney in the rear and the top is where the duct work goes to tie into the gas furnace. I have no experience with wood stoves at all. I got this stove to supplement my gas furnace and i'm not sure exactly where to tie into the duct work? There is a thermostat for the stove but no blower. Does the furnace draw the heat up through the vents? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a separate pipe for the smoke into the chimney. My chimney is not currently being used for anything except venting the exhaust from the hot water heater which also has it's own pipe. I just didn't know where to tie the actual duct work from the stove into the duct work for the gas furnace. Can i just tie it in by the blower fan and let it pass through the furnace filter? If i did that though the duct would come off the stove and go straight down and tie in by the ground. Would that matter??

Status
Not open for further replies.