Q&A How do I put out the safety pilot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am brand new to the gas fireplace game (There is one in the condo I just bought with no instructions). In fact I just figured out how to get it lit tonight. The problem is I can not get the pilot light to shut off. I really won't use the fire place all that much, so I would like to shut the pilot off. Is there a way to kill the flame without letting the gas continue to come out? Or does the extinguishment of the pilot flame automatically kill the gas flow?

Answer:

There should be a dial that has a "pilot" and "off" setting. This is true with most safety valves on gas fireplaces. The valves for log sets (only) can be somewhat different, but do also have a pilot and off position. Once it shut off, no more gas will flow to the pilot tube or burner. To make certain of this, you can close the next manual valve which should be somewhere within 5 feet of the fireplace, perhaps in the floor or wall with a brass plate or in the room behind or basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.