How do I remove my stove pipe chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moonfisher

Mar 25, 2009
SoCal
There used to be a Franklin stove in our living room, and while it and the mantel are gone now, the chimney still extends a few inches through our ceiling. I would like to be able to cover the opening. How do I remove the bottom of the chimney? I can see no screws of any kind.

It may just be pressed up there......BUT, there are some chimney systems which you put a double to single adapter onto...and THEN lower through the ceiling. In that case, a length of single wall will remain in the room.

Put a drop cloth under it and and try working back and forth a bit on the single pipe in the room.

If that does not work, your options are to cut it off at the ceiling support level - and then insert a pipe cap (tee end) into the bottom of the pipe OR, if you have no intention of using the chimney you can do it right and remove the whole ceiling support and close up the opening with sheet rock, etc.

The chimney probably sits in a ceiling support box. This will need to be accessed from above in the attic. However, once the pipe and support box are removed, the roof will need to be patched as well.

<cross-posted with Craig's reply>

Status
Not open for further replies.