how do i use my pellet stove (vermont castings reliance 2340)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2010
DC
hi, i just purchased a new home and it has a vermont castings reliance 2340 pellet stove and i have no idea to use it. can someone help me out?
any chance anyone has the manual in pdf form?

thanks and happy new year!

Thanks for the help guys. I had seen all of that except for the manual request. Hopefully, that will work out.
I'm hoping someone on here has a reliance 2340 and a pdf manual or can tell me how to use it.

The unit has an electrical outlet and something that looks like a button that has a fuse in it (is this for ingition?).

From what I remember (this was in the late 80s early 90s I think, that was manual ignition. It was a good looking stove. One piece of advice. I think that was the stove that had a sloped burn try, similar to what stoker coal stoves have now. It was important to scrape that tray down once every day or two. Also, there is a guy I know, Ed Drexel at the Cozy Cabin in Warrensburg, NY who now has taken over a lot of VC parts for older stoves.

http://cozycabin.net/

I've actually run into some of these... funny thing was this: they were full of Harman parts! the burn pot, feeder, etc... even the control board was from the old pellet pro systems that Harman made. stamped on the side of the feeders was Harman Stove co.... I had to see it to believe it.

thanks for the info guys.

i'm still searching for a manual or short tutorial on how to use this things.
i saw a few forum members currently/recently have/had this pellet stove, can't seem to reach them via PM though.

thanks again.

pelletestovenewb said:
thanks for the info guys.

i'm still searching for a manual or short tutorial on how to use this things.
i saw a few forum members currently/recently have/had this pellet stove, can't seem to reach them via PM though.

thanks again.

Yea its usually tough to reach me when Im on vacation..........
I have a manual I can copy and email you if you have not found one yet, just give me a few days....
Start up is manual, make sure everything is clean before you start, and a hard scraping the burn pot
is essential every couple days, ash pan holds about a week of ash. Burnpot will get a hard black crust build up
that you may have to take a chisel to get off so keep it scraped clean.
Start up procedure:
Fill with pellets
Push Green button until pellets are up to air holes in burn pot ( add by hand if in a hurry)
Push red button to stop auger feed
Use Gel across the pellets - light and wait until pellets start to get red.
Push green button and watch flames rise !
Make sure knob on right is turned up so heat blows into room.

Any other help let me know - I have some tips and mods to make this stove well worth keeping.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.