How do the tree service trucks get unloaded?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I see the trucks going by towing the chippers. It looks like they must chip everything and then use a boom to slide the logs in the box on top of the chips? I assume then the whole box dumps back at the yard? I'd like to pitch the tree service a mile down the road on dumping the big logs in my driveway that is right on their route to their yard but I'm not sure how to make it worth their while without taking all the chips too? My guess is that given how litigious NY is, they won't be interested in having me grab the big stuff out of their yard and hauling it home.

How would you pitch it to them?

They use a boom truck sometimes on a different type trucks but its attached to the truck. Many times i think a bobcat loads them? My neighbor has a a guy that sometimes dump wood at his house like that. If i were in a urban area and did not have a source for wood i not hesitate to ask them to dump it.

Just call the foreman and the owner and explain you would allow them to dump their hardwoods, as long as its not sweetgum or something that cant split, in your yard for you to use for firewood. Tell them that you will make a waiver for you both to sighn that says what they are to do, like dump wood in X spot and that the company is not responsible for anything that may happen to you or anyone else after they drop the wood and leave. Also make sure that their insured so that if their guys hurt themselves unloading on your property or smash something of yours it will be taken care of.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I have seen at least one of their trucks has a big boom on it and the rest are just boxes. Must be they chip everything they can onsite and then have the boom truck show up for the stuff too big for the chippers.

all you gotta do is ask them...i heated my house for MANY years using free wood
from local tree services

unless they sell firewood to keep there guys busy during slow periods
i,m sure they'll be more then happy to give the wood to you
rather then have to pay to get rid of it

The easier and more coveinient you make it for them the more wood you'll get.
My yard is set up so they can pull in, unhook chipper, back into dump area, pull out and rehook trailer and then pull out another access road. They have no worries of backing around obstacles or backing in/out of drive. It's usually the end of the day when they are dumping and the workers are in a hurry to get home and are tired. They don't wanna be eF'in around. Quick and easy will get you wood.
The fist year I was open , wood/chips were real slow coming in till word got out.
They're not gonna sign a damage waiver. One of my retail sales theories is ,,, "If a customer is a pain in the ass before the sale , he's gonna be a bigger pain in the ass after the sale,,,,,,, count on it"! They have other places to dump hassel free without a waiver.
All that said , good luck in getting wood, the last I heard the power plant up there was paying for good clean wood waste.

Blue Vomit said:
A little beer can go a long way. ;-)

And a lot of beer goes even further! :lol: Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.