How do you bring in your wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terpsucka

Dec 4, 2010
Potomac, Maryland
How do you bring your wood into the house, to your stove/fireplace? All these years, piling up a stack on my forearms has worked well enough, but I'm thinking there has to be an easier way.

In the Fall and Spring I use a wheelbarrow to bring a little more than a week's worth of wood to my covered porch . . . from there I bring in a day's worth of wood to my wood box using a canvas carrying bag which has done quite well in the three years I've been using it -- helps minimize the mess as long as I am careful and not my normal klutzy self.

Until my dog chewed a hole through it I had one of those heavy cloth slings with handles on it. Easier than piling in your arms and holds about as much.

I use the truck to bring as much wood as possible up to the covered porch.

Then I bring the wood in using a large rubbermaid tote. I can normally fit a days worth of wood in the tote.

This year I am going to make racks that sit in the living room and will hold enough wood for a week to make it easier for me wife while I'm deployed. That way she doesn't have to haul the wood in all by herself. The neighbor is willing to come over and occasionally haul wood in for her. That way they can bring in a weeks worth of wood at a time.

Last year I purchased one of the Landsman firewood carts. It has large wheels that make it easy to go over various different surfaces and I picked it up at Lowes for around $40.

I do the wheelbarrow up to the back door thing, with a week or two's worth under the little roof there, but it was that last yard that was always the longest!

I was actually thinking that just 8' of 2-3" wide canvas strap sewed into a loop would make a fine tote. It looks like it'll be just as cost and time effective to buy a canvas bag, which is essentially the same thing, but less mess. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I store about 3 cord on my 14x14 covered porch on the back of the house, I just started bringing up the wood last week from the drying stacks in the backyard. From the porch, which is the same level of the house as the stove. I then use my converted (to hold wood) 2 wheel hand truck and fill up a wood ring near the stove. The wood ring will hold about 2.5 days of wood. The only tough part is laboring the wood up one set of stairs onto the porch. I take my sweet time doing it.

Load on trailer or truck from wooodshed.....drive to house. At house, I have a small room connected to my basement...stove in the basement. Open hatch, chuck in wood...about a cord at a time. From the room, I have a rolling cart that I move about two days worth right next to the stove for loading. It is super easy.

I use this cart to move it from the garage to the living room, where the insert is.
My wife thinks it's decorative enough to stay there and it holds about a day's worth.

LC-37.jpg

http://www.vogelzang.com/browse.cfm/log-caddie/4,53.html

2 wheeled Garden Way cart to porch. Arms and hands from porch to stove.

Kyle19 said:
Last year I purchased one of the Landsman firewood carts. It has large wheels that make it easy to go over various different surfaces and I picked it up at Lowes for around $40.

Similar to this? I got one of these from Harbor Freight for $60 last year. Very happy with it except for the fact that both tires are slow leakers.

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,350
yep. a canvas wood satchel with handles to bring it up from the basement. my wife prefers a box so i took a sturdy cardboard box and gorilla-glued some wood slats to reinforce the handles with some rigging tape to hold it all together. also put a sheet of masonite in the bottom for strength it can hold a good bit of stovewood.

Banana boxes from the super market. Put the bottom in the top to reinforce. Free for the asking, have hand holds and just recycle when the get tired. Be safe.
Ed

Wheel barrow from stacks to back deck, then I use these fortex buckets for the final trip inside.

http://www.horse.com/item/fortex-flexible-bucket/SLT901547/

I like that they contain alot of the mess and are really flexible. They come in handy for holding extra wood in the house, too.

The Dixette & I each have 2, and I'm picking up 2 more this year. The oldest are going into thier 3rd year, and still going strong.

They do double duty in the summer moving compost, flower bed cleaning, plant cuttings, etc.

I load a face cord on the covered porch. Then I use two old metal milk crates to bring it inside. One loaded N-S the other E-W. Holds about 1-2 days worth.

For almost 20 years I just used a hand truck. It worked great to get it into the walkout basement, then I would throw it against the end of the stack to unload it all at once. A couple years ago I decided I would try to save my back, so I welded up a real nice heavy duty cart with nice big casters on the bottom. I was so proud of myself until I began to use it.

Once it was loaded up, it was nearly impossible to push over the threshold of the basement door. I had to resort to putting a sheet of 5/16" steel plate down there as a ramp every time I brought wood in, but even then it was difficult. After that, I had to weave the huge thing through the maze of power tools in the shop, and then unload it by hand because the thing took up too much space to leave in there.

After one full season of supreme stubbornness, I got out the torch and cut it apart to use the steel on other projects. Back to the hand truck again... which, in case I didn't already mention, works great.

Kid labor mostly! Each year they get better and better. I usually load the truck up with about a week's worth or so and drive it to the basement door. We haul it in from there and they get a dollar if they can keep up with me. They get 3 if they do it all but they rarely choose to do that!

tfdchief said:
I use one of these. I have had the open end sling type and the closed end bag type. I prefer the closed end ones because they contain all of the mess.
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Accessories/Log-Carriers

We have the first one in the pic from the above link, but that sits in a black metal frame next to the insert. What we use from the pile into the garage are the old Costco reusable bags. They work great! My wife ended up with about 10 of them and I load up about 5 at time and line them up in the garage. That gives us about a weeks worth of wood and allows any small critters that may be in the wood to warm up and crawl off.

Status
Not open for further replies.