How do you build a chase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

layoric

Feb 22, 2007
I was wondering how you build a chase? I posted another topic about our chimney falling down, and was wondering if this would solve that problem. From what I've seen of these enclosures, it should. It looks like a box enclosing the chimney from the outside. Is it really difficult to build? Does it start and rest right at the ground level?

If I had a chase, perhaps the chimney could also be supported against that, taking most of the weight off the house and those offset joints. Total chimney length (vertical) is 10 feet, and it comes from a 90 out our wall, then around our eave. Height from the ground to the eave is probably about 10 - 12 feet.

I'm hoping I can build this myself.

Careful about building a chase without talking to a local building inspector. Adding a chase to the side of the house could change the roof loading and adversely change the loading bearing capability of the trusses on your roof. If you have to make a chase, look into supporting it from the ground, otherwise you may need a structural review and a PE stamp to get an inspection approved.

If you build it from the ground up there should be no structural issues. although if attached to the house you may still need a permit. It shouldnt be hard to build, pour a simple footing, 3 walls and some siding to match the house. Make sure its big enough to allow for the pipe manuf clearance to combustables and insulate it and put a cap on it. Id add a "cricket " where it meats the roof to help shed rain and snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.