How do you clean the flue on an Englander pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heh14

Jan 13, 2009
Maine
Hi guys,

I've been browsing the forums for a little while, but I've yet to find anyone who seems to have the exact same problem as me. I bought my stove last July and have been running it since around October. Lately, I've noticed a few things:

1. It has started occasionally making a "squeaking" noise, almost like one of the augers is rusty. I think this may be the pellets though, as the new brand I got (second ton) has longer pellets, creates more ash, etc.

2. Sometimes it kind of deeply "clunks." Is this the sound of pellets breaking?

3. A few days ago, I noticed that my flame had pretty much died out and I was left with embers in the burn pot. Then it started burning again. Then it died down again a little while later. Upon inspection, it looked like my bottom auger had temporarily stopped turning and some of the embers were up against it. It started working again soon after though, so I didn't sweat it.

This new batch of pellets creates a lot of ash. I want to clean the flue out, but I dont' know how to get back there. I'm not very tech savvy, so maybe you guys could help? I'd rather not pull the whole unit out, as it is 300 pounds and set up on bricks over my hardwood floor. Can I get in there if I take something off? I wanna give it a good cleaning tonight to see if that solves my "problems."

Thanks so much in advance!

I have a mobile home. I vent straight out through the wall and then I have an elbow outside that goes up about 4 or 5 feet probably...

I'm definitely not impressed with this second ton of pellets. The first ones I got through Home Depot and they were pretty good. These new ones make a ton of ash. I think they are Nature's Heat, but I'm not 100%. Could let you guys know after lunch break from work...

Actually, I believe it is a tee. Sorry for saying elbow. Like I said, not the most handy guy around. :)

So I basically have to disconnect it from outside? That kinda sucks, as I have it bolted to the side of the house...this could be a chore. I was hoping there was a way to get to it from inside the front of the stove. Definitely wouldn't wanna pull the whole stove out, as it would probably scratch the hell out of my floor.

I found a thing on Englander's website about the clean out tee (I'm pretty sure this is like what I have). I still don't see how it allows such "easy" access for cleaning though...I'm assuming I have to slide the whole unit out away from the tee to get in there? May be hard to line back up and everything without any help...

Do you disconnect the tee directly from the back of the stove (pull stove away from wall) or do it from the outside?

Oh, I think I understand what you mean now. The tee has three openings. One hooks to the back of the stove, one vents upward, and the third one is the "disconnect" (or opening) that you were referring to. I'm assuming I can open this up with a wrench or screwdriver or something? Very handy, and thanks again for reading my babble.

twist the bottom section all the joints should be 1/4 turn twist locks

heh 14,

Mine also does #1 and #2 of your post. It doesn't do #3 however.

heh14 said:
Hi guys,

I've been browsing the forums for a little while, but I've yet to find anyone who seems to have the exact same problem as me. I bought my stove last July and have been running it since around October. Lately, I've noticed a few things:

1. It has started occasionally making a "squeaking" noise, almost like one of the augers is rusty. I think this may be the pellets though, as the new brand I got (second ton) has longer pellets, creates more ash, etc.

2. Sometimes it kind of deeply "clunks." Is this the sound of pellets breaking?

3. A few days ago, I noticed that my flame had pretty much died out and I was left with embers in the burn pot. Then it started burning again. Then it died down again a little while later. Upon inspection, it looked like my bottom auger had temporarily stopped turning and some of the embers were up against it. It started working again soon after though, so I didn't sweat it.

This new batch of pellets creates a lot of ash. I want to clean the flue out, but I dont' know how to get back there. I'm not very tech savvy, so maybe you guys could help? I'd rather not pull the whole unit out, as it is 300 pounds and set up on bricks over my hardwood floor. Can I get in there if I take something off? I wanna give it a good cleaning tonight to see if that solves my "problems."

Thanks so much in advance!

The clunks are probably pellets breaking while the auger is turning, and as for the squeaking noise it may be that you have a carbon build up at the end of your auger tube. Next time you are cleaning out your stove, feel around the end of the tube with your fingers. If you notice a build up there, you need to get that off, as it could be the cause of your auger stoppage, and it could ruin your auger motor.

There are many ways to get the build up off of it. Some people use a nail file, chisel, or anything else to get at it. I myself just use an old screwdriver and use it to break away the carbon build up. Give it a try, it may get rid of your squeak.

heres what I would do, 4 years and around 15 tons w/ mine, I would open the nearest window or door, have a shop vac ( i bought an extension kit from Sears) OUTSIDE waiting, plug it in and suck out everything you can, especially behind the baffle plate, then remove the bottom plug of the TEE, if it is really pellet stove pipe it will be a quarter turn and pull, usually by hand, you MAY need to use a pair of huge water pump pliers or a strap wrench, BE CAREFULL, lots of ash can come out very quickly when you open this, then stick the vac in everywhere you can. open and close the door. turn the stove on and off with the vac in there. see what works w/ your install, and what blows shite all over. get a cheap brush that allows you to clean your pipe for years to come for less than the cost of a single cleaning. and, best of all, you learn how your stuff works, you learn to maintain and fix yourself, from the experience of others here who have been down this road before- and who will be there for you in the middle of the night when you need us most- not next week, like most very busy repair companies.

Ditto on cleaning the carbon off the auger tube. If you haven't done it since October and burned a ton of pellets you are long overdue. Especially if the lower auger is stopping, it should only stop when the stove is off. I scrape mine daily.

As for your last problem about the flame dying down... If this stared when you switched to the newer (crappy) pellets, and is occurring on a feed rate of 1 or 2 then you may need to adjust the low feed and low air rate. Those are the first two of the three buttons on the bottom. Lots of posts here about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.