How do you clean your air chamber?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy08

Dec 5, 2008
Southern Tier NY
I have an Avalon Olympic and use the front blower to increase the heat output. And believe me, this stove can produce the heat. I do understand that burning wood creates dust and the blower unit helps spread it a bit. With this stove, the blower is located on the bottom front and draws air and dust within the air chamber. I vacuum the air chamber, which surrounds the fire box, as best as a residential vacuum or wet vac can reach and have even used a damp cloth with a bent coat hanger to reach what I can see. I would like to know of any tricks of the trade or helpful technique for cleaning the air chamber. Does anyone make a vacuum attachment thin enough to fit inside?

In the summer after taking off the blower, stove pipe and after through(sp) vacuuming I throw a monster hefty trash bag over the stove and use compressed air in select air passage areas. wheew ...I should change my name to 'king of the run on sentences'.

Now the blower I take out to the garage and blow that out too then add a touch of oil to both arbors and let it run a few seconds.

Yes, I did plan to remove and thoroughly clean it this next summer. I am looking to see if anyone has any tricks for cleaning during the heating season?

I wouldn't worry about it. Seems like any dust would get burnt out every time the stove gets good and hot.

Re the small vacuum attachment idea, one trick I've seen is to tape a length of old garden hose to the end of the vacuum hose. The garden hose is flexible enough to bend around corners, so it is useful for cleaning refrigerator coils, clothes dryer lint paths, etc. Blaine

Status
Not open for further replies.