How do you clean your glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a wet paper towel and have used baby wipes when it gets bad.

Paper Towels and baby wipes for this guys as well. Gets the glass clean everytime with 2-3 minutes of effort.

I just use a wet paper towel and the ash that's on the glass to scrub it when cold. Then follow up with a clean dry one. 3 years and good as new. Never used anything else.
Windex when cold. No scrubbing needed going on six years.

Reactions: Mrr211
Whatever does the job is the answer. Water is messy coz it drips and won't always get stuff off. If it works for you and yours then that is great but the fact that there are 100 different options being discussed above suggests that water is not always the answer. If it were then this would have been a single post thread.
I'm a bit puzzled. From what I've read some people apparently have real problems removing dirt from the glass. It takes me about 30 seconds, a spritz of Windex and two paper towels to wipe mine spotless. What am I missing?

I'm having to clean the glass on my 52i about twice a day. I don't like any imperfections in the glass when looking at my fire. For some reason, the barefoots are burning rather dirty, especially when compared to the Hamers I have. I wait until the glass is cool and use any glass cooktop cleaner. Less than $4 a bottle, and it's the same stuff I use to clean off the glass cooktop on my stove.

Anything I use that is Liquid, I spray the rag or Paper towel and Not the glass.
reason is I don't want anything dripping or running down into the window Fiber rope[seal]..
that can't be good for it in the long run.

I do the same thing when I made Tonyray cleaning the stove full and complete cleaning between I spend a dry cloth once a day 1

Just tried a wet paper towel and dried it with a clean dry paper towel and it worked perfect. Could have probably just cleaned it with a dry paper towel, the glass cleaned very easy.

I use the rutland glass cleaner that was recommended here. Works great

To clean the glass. I read on this site last year. Just use a wet paper towel and the ashes from the pellets in cold glass. Works amazing!! Then if needed finish with windex!

Reactions: Pascal_Maertens
I'm a bit puzzled. From what I've read some people apparently have real problems removing dirt from the glass. It takes me about 30 seconds, a spritz of Windex and two paper towels to wipe mine spotless. What am I missing?

My Harman is easy, just wipe off the slight film with a damp paper towel when it is stone cold a couple times a month. The St Croix is tougher; and it came with baked on crud that I have not been successful in getting rid of. I clean the glass every couple of days with a wet paper towel to get the new smoke off. I hope that changes once I do a couple of things to the stove to make it burn more efficiently, but only time will tell.

Generally manufacturer's warn away from using Windex....

My Harman manual says to use a glass cleaner like Windex. My St. Croix manual says to use glass cleaner only when stove is cold (they don't mention glass cleaner by name).

My Harman manual says to use a glass cleaner like Windex. My St. Croix manual says to use glass cleaner only when stove is cold (they don't mention glass cleaner by name).
I use windex at times also but ammonia free...
don't know why that matters but it's what i buy.

OK, I used Rutland, then a short burn of a few hours, then off, and when I went to clean it again -- instead of the brownish smudges that didn't want to come off with anything except the Rutland, now I have a whitish residue, but it came right off, no real resistance. No changes to stove settings or brand of pellet.

Windex, Glass plus, Dollar store brand, Whatever I have on hand

I thought the ammonia in glass cleaner is bad for the ceramic glasses. I do know you can - with a little searching - find ammonia free glass cleaner. Personally, I use stove-top cleaner.

I fired off our Insert for one fire last weekend and decided to see if I could clean the glass before the cold blast came in. Not much on it but a smoky film and just a tad glaze on the very bottom edge. Even the light glaze of creosote came right off, tried not to get too much on the glass rope seal. My wife just bought some Glass Plus and man did that stuff clean the glass, looks like brand new even after running non stop for 4 days. This is our 3rd season with this stove.

Ammonia and water 50/50 in a spray bottle. And it hasn't seemed to do any harm to the ceramic glass at all. My glass wash works good though as I haven't had to clean the glass since I started to burn wood in mid September.

Last edited:
I use turtle wax rubbing compound , in the auto dept ,of course do when cool..
It has some abrasive in it ,but not enough to hurt the glass, just the grime.
Dab little on a paper towel ,scrub, wipe with clean one, done.

OK, I used Rutland, then a short burn of a few hours, then off, and when I went to clean it again -- instead of the brownish smudges that didn't want to come off with anything except the Rutland, now I have a whitish residue, but it came right off, no real resistance. No changes to stove settings or brand of pellet.

Update. Rutland really cleans the glass, but I'm getting MORE of this whitish build-up, obscures the view after not many hours of burn. Maybe there's a residue? Per instructions, I use the Rutland then wipe with a dry cloth -- thinking a wet one might remove residue?

ive always used windex and a paper towel, glass cleans right up. as for the whitish stuff that dont like comoing off a customer told me once about a "wipe" that is made by the folks who do the "magic eraser" which apparantly cleans that stuff right off. wish i could remember the name of the product but alas , my memory aint what it used to be

Status
Not open for further replies.