How do you clean your glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update. Rutland really cleans the glass, but I'm getting MORE of this whitish build-up, obscures the view after not many hours of burn. Maybe there's a residue? Per instructions, I use the Rutland then wipe with a dry cloth -- thinking a wet one might remove residue?

This problem continues, I had a long-weekend burn, partially obscured glass. Next time I'll try cleaning w/Rutland to get the smudges off, then maybe Invisible glass to get any Rutland residue off.

I shied away from using any cleaner because it isn't needed, it gets between the air wash brackets and is time consuming to try and get back out and if you don't thoroughly polish it back off the glass you get immediate hazing and streaking as the ash/smoke condenses and hears to the residue before anything else.

Viva la H20!

I've been running my new pellet stove almost non stop since it was installed two weeks ago. Glass is still crystal clear. I must be burning clean pellets. ? I sure hope the glass doesn't gunk up like my old wood stove.

This is my first pellet stove. The wood stove it replaced would need the glass cleaned often. Newspaper, water, and ash always produced amazing results for years.

When I bought my stove, dealer gave me a bottle of Speedy White Hearth & Stove Cleaner. I use that with a damp paper towel..

This problem continues, I had a long-weekend burn, partially obscured glass. Next time I'll try cleaning w/Rutland to get the smudges off, then maybe Invisible glass to get any Rutland residue off.
Lack of air seems to be the problem not the cleaner, if you can adjust your air to get more rpm on your exhaust fan you won’t get all that black in your glass you should only get grey or white dust on your glass.

Lack of air seems to be the problem not the cleaner, if you can adjust your air to get more rpm on your exhaust fan you won’t get all that black in your glass you should only get grey or white dust on your glass.

Hmm, I am running the stove on low settings.

I just use the ceramic stove top cleaner, works well enough. Occasionally if I have dried ash stuck to the glass I'll scrape it gently with a razor blade but as long as I keep up I don't need to do that.

I try to clean the glass once a week when I vacuum, usually on a weekend as I enjoy the stove most when the glass looks perfectly clear. I'd say I get about 2 days with it before it starts to cloud up a bit.

wet cloth and a touch of ash .. wipe with clean towel .. done

Paper towels and 409.

Religiously.

Status
Not open for further replies.