How do you figure the BTU rating based on the fire box size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richardin52

Mar 28, 2008
A farm in Maine
I’m talking about a conventional wood furnace. For instance how much heat would I get out of a furnace with a 24" long 14" wide and 20" high fire box? Is there a formula I can use?

Thats almost a 4 cu ft firebox. Efficiency plays a huge part of the heat output. A conventional furnace maybe 80,000 btus. This is taken from different manufacturers. You get into a EPA certified furnace like mine and its rated around 140,000 btus with a 3.5 cu ft firebox. Basic wood furnaces aren't all that efficient. Seems like a small firebox for a standard furnace.

fire box size and boiler output do not have anything in common, output is based on the effiency of the boiler design, i guess you could approximate that x cuft. firebox will hold x lbs of wood at x btus/lb and come up with a gross btu value for a fire box load of wood, but it is up to the effiency of the boiler to determine,1 combustion effiency and 2, the ability for the boiler absorb and transfer that heat to your distribution system. If i recall nofo calculated a boiler effiency in the mid 80% and system effiency under 60%

Status
Not open for further replies.