1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How do you have your setup in the event of a power loss?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by RDabate, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    Be careful! When I hooked up my genset the circulator hummed and the electronic controller had numbers dancing all over the place. I immediately disconnected it as I didn't want to loose my electronic equipment. That's when I got the wheelbarrow and pulled all the fuel I could out of the firebox. Right now I'm running a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger with the three deep cycle batteries out of my RV. I plan to install a Guardian when I feel richer.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Kent Price

Kent Price New Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Have you tested this for how well it functions? I was thinking about a similiar application to replace my 5 heat zones. I have a gas generator if it's a long term power outage.
  3. Kent Price

Kent Price New Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Do you have any pics of your overheat loop? I am looking @ a design like that or an automag valve to dump into my existing 5 heat zones. Thks.
  4. Bricks

Bricks Member

Loc:
    West Central Wi.
    When buying a gen set check for harmonic distortion if it is <5% electronics should not be an issue. The brush types generators are much easier on electric motors at startup.
  5. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I have mine hopefully set up for gravity. I've tested it a little ,but for a long outage Like a day or more I would probably unload. Eventually I will get an inverter or generator to run a couple of circulaters so I can heat from storage till that runs out.
  6. sweetheat

sweetheat Member

Loc:
    MDI/ME
    Kent, no pics yet. In words: heat trips the automag and it open to gravity feed copper 1 1/4 tubes with aluminum fins every 1/4 inch (baseboard) placed horizontally on the ceiling above the boiler. My electrical circuit will accept power from a stand- by generator for fan and circulators if outage lasts longer then expected. Sweetheat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.