How do you have your setup in the event of a power loss?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
willworkforwood said:
Thanks for the info - I'll continue to research. No need to rush anything on this, especially since by installing the switch and genset, I practically guaranteed that we'll get no more power outages :lol:

Be careful! When I hooked up my genset the circulator hummed and the electronic controller had numbers dancing all over the place. I immediately disconnected it as I didn't want to loose my electronic equipment. That's when I got the wheelbarrow and pulled all the fuel I could out of the firebox. Right now I'm running a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger with the three deep cycle batteries out of my RV. I plan to install a Guardian when I feel richer.

b33p3r said:
Automag normally open valve which allows heat to transfer to 32' baseboard fins mounted above woodboiler.

Have you tested this for how well it functions? I was thinking about a similiar application to replace my 5 heat zones. I have a gas generator if it's a long term power outage.

sweetheat said:
1 1/4" overheat loop with fins plus can plug in stand by generator to existing electrical circuits for circulators and fan. sweetheat

Do you have any pics of your overheat loop? I am looking @ a design like that or an automag valve to dump into my existing 5 heat zones. Thks.

When buying a gen set check for harmonic distortion if it is <5% electronics should not be an issue. The brush types generators are much easier on electric motors at startup.

I have mine hopefully set up for gravity. I've tested it a little ,but for a long outage Like a day or more I would probably unload. Eventually I will get an inverter or generator to run a couple of circulaters so I can heat from storage till that runs out.

Kent, no pics yet. In words: heat trips the automag and it open to gravity feed copper 1 1/4 tubes with aluminum fins every 1/4 inch (baseboard) placed horizontally on the ceiling above the boiler. My electrical circuit will accept power from a stand- by generator for fan and circulators if outage lasts longer then expected. Sweetheat

Status
Not open for further replies.