How do you hold your wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
jpl1nh said:
Hmmm..Am I the only one with a conventional wrought iron wood holder? It's about 2' long and 18" high. Can hold about 2-3 days worth of wood. I keep it near the stove and generally fill it each morning after I load for the day so the woods warm when I put in the next load. I have very few critter problems, an occasional spider's about the size of it. Rest of my wood is stored in sheds or under top only covered cord size stacks.

Mine is one of the big hoops sitting next to the fireplace. Some sheet pans under it to catch the crap. I scoop up a handful of the stuff in the pans and toss it in with the kindling.
YEAH, exactly! The stuff you got in the pans is one of my "secrets" for a one match start every time!

then it comes inside to my rolling wood box, about 4.5x3x2.25
thanks Dad!

Attachments

• wood box.jpg
    wood box.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 352
then I will put it in these stupid racks next to the stove, only one in this picture (it's hit 80 degrees around here lately) I usually have 2.
I say these racks are stupid, only because of the mess.
as far as bugs, never been an issue. I like being able to get as much in the house at a time (3-4 days easily) get it nice and dry and not have to carry it in everyday, or realize you need wood in the morning!

Attachments

• wood rack.jpg
    wood rack.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 316
DiscoInferno said:
Now come on! Suggestive titles like that cannot be an accident. Are you testing us childish men? Because I failed. :ahhh:

As for my firewood, I keep that in the same canvas sling I use to bring in a couple of loads worth at a time. Hangs on a black metal stand. Got it at walmart or target. Since my primary stack is right outside the sliding basement door, I don't bother to bring in more.

LOL, Disco....I SO wanted to send a smartass answer, like "with both hands" or something like that!

I keep 2 small pallets full of wood in the garage. Then bring it up as needed. This provides 2-3 weeks worth of dry supply.

My immediate thought was "to the left"...

Thanks everyone for sharing! (and I apologize for the provacative title :) )
Jason and I are going to look for a nice bucket or something to place near the stove. We just need something that can hold 5 or so logs. Have a great weekend everyone!

Well when I rebuilt my kitchen I added a penninsula and where the cabinets turned, instead of putting in a corner cabinet I butted the corners of two cabinets together. This created an empty box on the other side that happens to be across from my woodstove. I then built a wood storage cabinet out of it. Works great and casn hold about a weeks worth of wood. I'll try to get pictures this weekend.

I keep about a weeks worth on the covered porch and have a metal tub inside by the hearth pad which I painted to match the stove. The tub holds about 15 splits vertically which will last the day.

Gee Catskill, I like Garcia a lot better than Limbaugh. Better grade of junkie, IMO.

On the wood storage question, my boiler is in the barn. I stack about 10 cords in there in the spring, and burn it the following winter. I'm hoping to get by with ten cords this winter, but I may "recharge" my inventory come January thaw if it looks like a prudent thing to do. The rest of my wood is stacked out in back of the barn. Five more pickup loads, and I'll be done hauling for the season (sigh......).

So if you're a Republican you must love Cheney, which would make you a friend of the devil, no? So, through some contorted, acid-tainted logic, you'd be a friend of mine.

Seriously, if you ever get the chance to attend a Rat Dog or The Other Ones or Phil Lesh & Friends concert, I highly recommend it. Forget your current political orientation, grab the old lady and get into the scene. Smoke will get in your eyes.

Nice looking place you got there in the Catskills. It's one of my favorite Autumn destinations. Are you on the NYC watershed?

Status
Not open for further replies.