How do you know if you need an OAK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only part that matters here is the outside air kit as its the only item up for change.

currently, there isn't one. Thus, if it spits back out of the intake, it gets in the house.
If i add a pipe to this, and run the oak to my basement, and it spits back, it still gets in the house.

I fail to see the difference.

briansol said:
The only part that matters here is the outside air kit as its the only item up for change.

currently, there isn't one. Thus, if it spits back out of the intake, it gets in the house.
If i add a pipe to this, and run the oak to my basement, and it spits back, it still gets in the house.

I fail to see the difference.

There isn't one. And as such, it would be pointless to run an intake to the basement unless it was just a means to an end, with that end being termination outside the house.

I believe someone also mentioned that it's a code violation.

O = outside as in out doors not in doors.
A = air as in this is going to be your combustion air source
K = kit

It isn't an OAK unless it has its termination on the outside of your house, if you terminate inside that house you have just an air intake (that under a lot of power failure situations leads to exhaust dumpage in the house).

Do it right or don't do it at all.

You NEED an OAK whenever code calls for it or your burn is sub optimal.

There are many things in your house that can lead to sub optimal burns.

Have at it brian and all. I'll open it back up. No skin off my back.

Enjoy.

pen

Since the thread has been opened back up...

I'm pretty sure I'm in one of the few situations that doesn't need an OAK. I have a double chimney that was built in 2 phases. The original chimney (1973) vents the oil boiler from the basement. The first owners added a large fireplace to the living room a few years later and a second chimney was constructed along side the original (it looks like one big chimney from a distance).

I've been in the house since '97 and the last few years, the second chimney has settled, cracked, and pulled away from the house towards the top. The chimney needs to be rebuilt from scratch, but I don't have the 15K under my sofa cushions. Heating my house has been a nightmare the last few winters, the living room is very drafty and I couldn't burn wood in the fireplace for ambiance, even if I wanted to. Installing the stove this season has been awesome. It burns great and heats 3/4 of my house effectively.

I doubt having an OAK would help me since the stove already has plenty of fresh air for combustion ;)

I can see why an OAK makes sense, particularly in colder climates. If you don't have one, you are sucking in more cold air from outside to fuel the fire. Why NOT install one?

But to say it is necessary... not technically true, unless it's a mobile home (required by law, I have read). Right?

If you have a tightly sealed home, I can see where it might cause a SMALL problem with fires... but if it were tight enough to cause a flame problem, I think it would also cause a breathing problem. Even more than our wives farting under the covers. :)

F6hawk said:
I can see why an OAK makes sense, particularly in colder climates. If you don't have one, you are sucking in more cold air from outside to fuel the fire. Why NOT install one?

But to say it is necessary... not technically true, unless it's a mobile home (required by law, I have read). Right?

If you have a tightly sealed home, I can see where it might cause a SMALL problem with fires... but if it were tight enough to cause a flame problem, I think it would also cause a breathing problem. Even more than our wives farting under the covers. :)

It is necessary if the stove manufacture says it is as well as any legal requirement, it is also necessary if the stove's burn is not proper at all of its firing rates otherwise you expose yourself to possible fire dangers.

The human body can tolerate a wide range of O2 and survive but since you brought it up you really do not want to continuously expose yourself to reduced O2 levels. That leads to a lot of unneeded stress on your body.

Status
Not open for further replies.