How do you know the bar is worn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
My bar has 13 years of 3 cords a year on it, and I don't have any obvious issues. I keep the chain sharp and use good bar oil. I don't have a new bar to compare mine to, so what should I be looking at to tell when It's done.

Thanks for any advice

Wow amazing, I was about to post the same question.

Another similar question: What is the consensus on whether to grease or not grease the sprocket? I have never greased mine in 10 years and cut over 40+ cord and it still spins fine. Others grease it every time they use it. I hear once you grease, you always must grease.

Hold the bar up and look down the groove. The rails should be straight, not wavy, and even. If they are splayed out they can be fixed with a rail squeezer. There shouldn't be a wire edge on the bar rails, if there is it should be knocked off with a flat file.

With the bar mounted and a chain installed and properly tensioned, the chain should not rock side to side at all. The rails are worn too far when the drive links on your chain bottom out in the groove.

As far as grease, I would say it depends on your cutting conditions, but if you have a bar tip that can take grease, I would grease it. Lots of folks don't, and don't have a problem. But I figure they wouldn't put it there if it wasn't supposed to get used.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - If the saw cuts straight with a properly sharpened chain, chances are pretty good the bar is fine. Cutting with a sharp chain, a bar will last a long, long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.