How do you know what pellet stove to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stormee1

Oct 1, 2008
MI
I've been researching pellet stoves to find the one that best fits my needs but I'm not sure what to look for and am going a little crazy trying to figure it out. I've been looking at Breckwell, St. Croix, Englander etc. I've heard that Harmans are the best but a dealer told me they are all sold out in our area. I have a two story 1600 sq ft house. What questions should I ask and what should I be looking for.

If you're handy Englander has the 25-PDVC tove that needs a liitle more upkeep than other brands, but is a good value. My Englander heats my 2 story house very well, but temps don't usually fall below 30 for very long here.

It's just like anything else - first, determine why you want a stove? For recreation and sitting around? To save money? Will you save money? What fuel are you burning now. How do you intend to use the stove? Is it going in a living area where you might really like something decorative?

All that and more. You are on the right track.

My #1 advice for buying a pellet stove - is to see if you can buy a brand local from a store than has a service dept. Pellet stoves break down and need service and cleaning. Most people are not capable of replacing augers, motors, etc. - so if possible start your search with brands sold and serviced local.

Anyway, you can see where I am going with this. There is an ass for every seat (like with cars)......so consider your criteria and make a list of the most important features and benefits you expect.

Their are many good brands out there as well as the ones that you mentioned, but if you've done your research, you'll know that the following are a few things to consider in your decision:

1. Price
2. Free-standing stove or insert
3. Automatic start
4. Good size hopper
5. Good reputation manufacturer (do some searches in this forum)
6. Is the dealer reputable and will service your stove.
7. Can you install it yourself and save some money
8. Can you get pellets easily enough

And perhaps a few other things as well. I think the most important thing is whether you have it installed by professionals, or do it yourself, that it is done CORRECTLY with permits and inspections if required.

Steve

First you have to consider why you need the stove or heat source in the first place. For me, I had to find a heat source for my finished walk out basement. After considering several different options in terms of cost effectiveness ($ per BTU of heat, initial cost, etc.), I decided on a wood pellet. Next, what is your budget? This will narrow down your options in terms of brand or model. After this it is a matter of trade offs between the remaining types of pellet models of what one's wants and needs are.....pretty simple....at least for me...

Regards
Ossy

Well, I'll admit to being partial but if you are handy then I'd recommend you go with the larger, 2,200 sq. ft., Englander since you've got two stories to heat. For me, it was an easy decision since there are NO pellet stove repairman in this area. I went with the stove that was designed for the do it yourselfer so that if it quit I'd be able to call tech support for advice/parts and fix it myself. One year in and I'm very happy with my decision. I've done some work on the stove and frankly, it ain't rocket science even for a girl. :bug: The hardest part was pulling the stove away from the wall.

it was all about price for me

i couldn't pass up the deal i got in april from a dealer

enie-meanie-minie-moe

I am not sure where you are located and the availability of stoves there. I would first find one style you like, utility, modern, or traditions style. Find a dealer CLOSE to your house and see what is in stock and available. Make sure the dealer will service and has spare parts for that unit and narrow down your choices.

Eric

In addition to the points the other made, be sure there are
also a few sources available in your area where you can get pellets.

In some places, pellets are expensive and hard to find right now.

Firestarter,

I don't know how far north you are, but Miller Stove in Bremen Indiana had Harmans in stock. I was in their showroom last weekend. I am on the state line and they are about 25 minutes south of Notre Dame University. They just delivered my stove today and did a great job plus sold me pellets at $179 a ton with the stove delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.