How do you know when..................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
...... your steed is approaching it's last breath? My craftsman 42cc is exibiting benign behavior; stalling in the middle of a cut for no apparant reason, starts right up again afterwards, however. Can't go wide open on the throttle, kinda hafta feather it to 7/8(yes, air filter has been checked) then when at full song it'll bog pretty often. SO to the elite among us, am I looking at the final days of my trusted steed................

Sounds like the carb just needs a good cleaning.

LLigetfa said:
Sounds like the carb just needs a good cleaning.
+1 and new fuel filter

Could also be a cracked fuel line sucking in some air. Whatever it is, keep running it like that and you'll burn it up. Might be one way to have an excuse to buy new bigger saw.

Thanks guys- I'll check this stuff out...................

:coolgrin: geezz guys help him out... sounds like he's tryin to come up with a good excuse for a new saw. :cheese:

I'll give it a go.............you got a bad rod bearing. :wow: you need a new saw.

Gator eye said:
:coolgrin: geezz guys help him out... sounds like he's tryin to come up with a good excuse for a new saw. :cheese:

I'll give it a go.............you got a bad rod bearing. :wow: you need a new saw.

crank seal bad and in comb with a bad rod bearing she toast....

THanks guys- no hard feelings if I run this one into the ground. I got it used 2+ years ago and have learned alot with it; learned the proper stuff. I'm sorta keeping a half an eye out on stuff out there..............

Run it with straight gas next tank full....tell wife "I don't know what the heck happened but it was running fine just the other day"....start shopping for a new Christmas present named Stihl or Husky.....

Most likely fuel filter, it is usually in the tank and comes out the fill cap.

Hi -

Fix it and then you'll have a saw to free up your new Hsky 353, or Dolmar 5100! (In the rare case where you allow it to get trapped in a cut.)

ATB,
Mike

Well, let's look at the facts. You are a man who needs a saw. That is clear. Right now your saw is not working as it should and that meand your needs are not being met. Of course you can repair the saw but now is not the time - is it not the very apex of the cutting season? So for now go get another saw and do your duty, then in the idle days of January and February you can tend to the broken saw.

My god man, anyone can see you have no choice.

Some ppl burn wood to save money. Other ppl burn wood to justify buying all the toys.

LLigetfa said:
Some ppl burn wood to save money. Other ppl burn wood to justify buying all the toys.

...and get off the couch.... no your right its for the toys %-P

stee6043 said:
Run it with straight gas next tank full....tell wife "I don't know what the heck happened but it was running fine just the other day"....start shopping for a new Christmas present named Stihl or Husky.....

Bingo

Thanks guys, I'm pretty set with wood for this season. Saying that some cut wood to sace money, that's me- I relish flipping the finger to the gas company :). A new saw isn't in the budget right now anyhow, I've been buying other toys, like a high capacity wagon and wood trailer for the quad and what with CHRISTmas right around the corner.................

While that little saw still has some life in it, I'd get to replacing it pronto. Firewooding's no fun if you're without a dependable saw.

Scan the local craigslist if you don't have the $300-$600 for a new occasional user quality saw.

I suggest replacing it sooner rather than later so you'll have a back up. Not a good idea to depend on wood heat and own only one saw.

Yeah- good point, Crawford. But some good news- I poked some pinholes in the fuel filter as when I took it off I could hardly blow thru it wo save my life. Fired her up with the pinholes and it was like new life had ben breathed into the beast. I'll keep my eyes open for a backup saw; if worst comes to worst I figure I'll just bum my Dad's 33cc Homelite, with the Oregon semi- chisel chain....................

Well guys, since I'll be staying the course with this saw I've ben thinking of muffler mods. Anyone got any pointers...................

Seems to me like trying to hop up a Crapsman is kind of like putting racing slicks and a turbo on a Toyota Corolla - sure you can, but WHY???

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Seems to me like trying to hop up a Crapsman is kind of like putting racing slicks and a turbo on a Toyota Corolla - sure you can, but WHY???

Gooserider

lol yep keep her stock...

Stocke, eh? OK. Anyone got any specs or experiences with the Craftsman 55cc saw................

WoodMann said:
Stocke, eh? OK. Anyone got any specs or experiences with the Craftsman 55cc saw................

if your talking muff modd. -7/16-1/2 in pipe would be about right for 55cc with limit caps off and it needs an adjustable carb. to work.

Man- this just keps getting worse all the time, eh...................

Status
Not open for further replies.