How do you know you are having a chimney fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I take it then that it is possible that some chimney fires just burn out without much damage? Or am I wrong?

Some do, some don't. Best bet is to keep the chimney clean then if the accidental overfire occurs, it may be possible to damage something still, but it shouldn't be the home.

pen

A SS liner can really help. My Olympia is guaranteed never to burn out or it will be replaced free of charge, as its good for more than 2500 degrees. My installer said he only replaced one, and that was where gthe owner stuffed the stove full of tiny kindling and the fired it up and left the door open. Even so, the company replaced the liner free of charge despite the fact that it melted in some places.

You need a liner with that kind of warranty.

I burned plenty of wood over a long period, and never had a fire(knock on wood). It depends on how you burn it too.

Top sign you might be having a chimney fire . . . the shiny red trucks with the pretty flashing lights are parked in your driveway and you're greeted at the door by a guy dressed oddly and carrying an ax in one hand and a ladder in the other hand.

--

Actually Pen and JonP's descriptions are spot on.

Also Rory . . . if you burn truly seasoned wood . . . if you check your chimney monthly and clean it when necessary . . . and if you run the stove at the proper temps to reduce the amount of creosote build up you should never have to worry about meeting my brothers and sisters who live and work in your home town . . . although I can pretty much guarantee you that they are wicked nice people.

Status
Not open for further replies.