How do you recirculate warm air to other rooms?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis, I have two ceiling fans and the Vornado fan but have not yet found a good solution for moving warm air to the bedrooms. Do you blow warm stove air down the hallway toward the bedrooms or cold air from the bedrooms into the stove room?
Best,

John_M

The fact that this is a dredged up 2+ year old thread illustrates the ongoing nature of the challenge we all face to one degree or another, depending (at least in large part) on the configuration of our living spaces. Rick

fossil said:
The fact that this is a dredged up 2+ year old thread illustrates the ongoing nature of the challenge we all face to one degree or another, depending (at least in large part) on the configuration of our living spaces. Rick

Cluttermagnet you are bad. :shut:

Carbon_Liberator said:
fossil said:

Cluttermagnet you are bad. :shut:
Huh?

Riegel said:
I've tried box fans, large industrial fans that were very noisy and then I bought a Blower Fan. Check out the attached link. This style fan has worked the best for me. It can move a large volume of air quickly and it's not noisy. It has a small footprint so it doesn't take up a lot of room in a doorway or hallway. I picked mine up at Lowe's for about $35.00. It works great in the summer as well.

My stove is in the back of the house. The room with the stove can get in the 80's if I don't circulate from front to back of the house. When I use the Blower Fans I can take the front room from 62 to 68 and keep the back room in the mid 70's. I also follow the same rule on pushing the cooler air toward the room with the stove.

http://www.laskoproducts.com/fans/model_4900.html
Nice find. Bookmarked it. Unbelievable price for what it is. Looks like that one will move a lot of CFM's for the dollar. It's skinny enough that it can be placed on the floor in doorways and maybe still avoid too much tripping over it.

I was lucky enough to have a pretty central location for my stove and I bought a floor fan from Walmart. pointeed the fan right at the stove and it pretty much keeps the whole house even. Even the upstairs feels the heat which was just not possible with the hot water baseboard before.

Listening to everything everyone has to say I think I am going to try a vent. I am going to put it in the back coldest room and blow it into the basement. I know its not putting the cold air int the hottest room but I think it will work.

There is/was a product that worked well for us in Austin (yes Texas!) where we had a vaulted ceiling that peaked at a vertical wall opposite the insert in the outside wall masonry FP. I installed two fans that fit into the a/c ducts in that wall and sucked the hot air into the rest of the house, causing the cool air to return to the stove room along the floor through the only door between the den, kithchen and breakfast area and the rest of the house. A near-perfect setup in a forced air system. I still have the fans somewhere and need to try to install them in this house. I've had 'em for so long I don't remember the brand. They can be left in the duct year round, since they don't impede the air from the a/c (or heating unit fan).

My current stove room has 10' ceilings and a ceiling fan--every room in the blinkin' house has a ceiling fan, except for the master closet! I've IRed the ceiling at 80 degrees and the floor at 68 in the stove room. Due to the height of the ceilings, the division created by the walls over the doors and the placement of the three return air intakes, moving the heat to the rest of the house is proving to be an issue. If I ever build another house (which I doubt will happen) I WILL have transoms, installed duct fans (and a number of other things related to moving wood heat)! Those would solve this and several other problems in a heartbeat.

Unlike other houses I've had, where the air is forced throughout the house, this one has three zones on the main floor, each with it's own return air vent, so all the doors can be closed and the zones will all remain cool or warm, as the case may be. In this day and time, this is an expensive option and very unusual in this part of the country. The forced air system would be much better for the heat distribution issue, but alas!

So, I wll follow this thread with interest, since I have NOT overcome this problem. Hoping for a solution from you smart people!

BTW, Dennis, try to stay on topic, please! Window adjustments?? TMI!!! :red:

Reactions: PoconoMama
i have a programable thermostat which allows me to run the fan on the forced air furnace
it will run about 20 minutes per hour approx 3- 7 minute cycles
this keeps my house well balanced

I'm just hoping the OP figured out a way to move the heated air through their house by now . . . since this post was from October 2007.

For the record . . . I move the air via a fan . . . sometimes two fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.