How do you say no?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
So the neighbor who lives about 2 miles down the road called 3 weeks ago and asked if I wanted a Maple tree he had cut down in his side yard and I told him I would love it but it would be about three weeks before I could get over there due to my work schedule. He told me not to worry about it and he was going to buck all the wood to 16" for me so all I had to do was split it. Fast forward to today and I show up to start splitting walk up to the tree and am thinking that doesn't look like any Maple I have ever seen...Turns out after a little more looking around on my part it is a sweet gum tree. I wanted to just walk away from it sooooo bad but given the fact he already bucked it I just couldn't do that. It was officially the worst splitting wood I have ever touched and if I never split another one I will be happy! Anyways I got 2.5 trailer loads done and hauled home before sunset and will finish the last one up tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2011-09-16_17-40-44_494.jpg
    2011-09-16_17-40-44_494.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 429
  • 2011-09-16_17-41-25_291.jpg
    2011-09-16_17-41-25_291.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 417
You really can't say no, but I'll bet you really wanted to!

Al least with the cutting labor being done, it help offset the splitting labor!

Hopefully he will call you for any other trees, which, with any luck, will be better.

Good luck,

Bill

That certainly doesn't look like ANY fun to split. I have never had to split that.... THANK GOD !!!!

Yeah you really can't say no, considering he bucked it all up for ya. Rent a splitter and have at it.

Enjoy,
Shawn

That would be a bummer. Good thing you split it up green...its a real bear when its dry. Shoulder season wood as well. Burns fast when dry, wont burn when green. Got some of that stuff myself.

Looks to have about the same BTU as soft Maple...not bad.
As NCPABill said, hopefully this guy will send some primo stuff your way in the future.

Never split that stuff and don't know what the tree looks like but it looks almost as bad as elm splitting.. Those certainly are nice big loads of wood and should be pretty good firewood.. In the BTU chart I use they list Red Gum (is this the same thing as sweet gum?) and it's about the same as cherry btuwise.. BTW I bought those ramptops you told me about at Lowes and will get those installed on my 2x10's.. Thanx for the tip!

Ray

Certified - no you can never turn down free wood! I have never split any kind of gum but it sure looks like a bear! That's a great neighbor to think of you like that AND to buck it up for you! Everyone around me burns wood also so that never happens to me!

raybonz said:
Never split that stuff and don't know what the tree looks like but it looks almost as bad as elm splitting.. Those certainly are nice big loads of wood and should be pretty good firewood.. In the BTU chart I use they list Red Gum (is this the same thing as sweet gum?) and it's about the same as cherry btuwise.. BTW I bought those ramptops you told me about at Lowes and will get those installed on my 2x10's.. Thanx for the tip!

Ray

Ray, I'll put it this way.....Elm seems like a dream come true to split compared to this stuff. If I didn't have a hydraulic splitter I wouldn't have even attempted it. Yesterday was the first day I wished I had a 36 ton splitter since the 22 ton wouldn't even go through some of the pieces. Btu wise it's not that bad it's about the same as soft maple and burns ok it's just a bear to split.

red oak said:
Certified - no you can never turn down free wood! I have never split any kind of gum but it sure looks like a bear! That's a great neighbor to think of you like that AND to buck it up for you! Everyone around me burns wood also so that never happens to me!

I know you can't turn down free wood especially when it's already bucked up since I am and equal opportunity wood burner :lol: . I really do appreciate the guy giving it to me I was just hoping to have less time involved in splitting. I actually had to take the chainsaw to a bunch of the pieces to get through them. I probably got 2+ cords out of it though since the tree was HUGE!

certified106 said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Ray, I'll put it this way.....Elm seems like a dream come true to split compared to this stuff. If I didn't have a hydraulic splitter I wouldn't have even attempted it. Yesterday was the first day I wished I had a 36 ton splitter since the 22 ton wouldn't even go through some of the pieces. Btu wise it's not that bad it's about the same as soft maple and burns ok it's just a bear to split.

Woah that's gotta be some nasty stuff to split if it is worse than elm!! I would not take any knowing this as my lil electric splitter didn't scratch that elm! In your situation I might consider it though and you got plenty of it too.. Sounds like decent enough firewood especially in spring and fall or during the day if I am home to feed the stove..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.