How do you seal pipe joints?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malak

Jul 30, 2008
North Central CT
I'm using the standard single wall 24GA
pipe in the room with the stove and I
noticed that the pipe tends to have gaps
from the joint side of the pipe.

A guy at work said you seal them with
the same metal tape that you use on
attic insulation. Is this true?

thanks

It is my understanding that you can not use single wall pipe for a pellet stove.

If you get twist-lock style double-wall pellet vent pipe you won't have to seal it at all except where it attaches to the stove.

I used the twist lock stuff but still sealed it with that high temp silicone (the red stinky stuff). Some joins still had some smoke leak, so I bought some high temp tape from Home depot. It's silver tape thats good to over 200 degrees. I put that on top of the joints and that seems to seal the smoke in. Now I just hope when I spraypaint it, it will stick to the tape. I assume it will.

Actually, it's a corn stove technically. I'm only
using singlewall till it hits the ceiling.

A tape that can only take 200 degrees is probably
not good enough in my opinion.

Glass cloth tape would work but not sure it's
available at home stores.

Keep your family and house safe. Use P or L Vent.

Eric

Malak said:
Actually, it's a corn stove technically. I'm only

What everyone else said. Use the proper vent pipe
specifically for corn stoves.

Actually, it’s a corn stove technically. I’m only

Isn't it true that corn stoves require even more specialized pipe than pellet stoves ? Something about Stainless Steel pipe requirement due to the corrosive properties of the corn I think...

It's a multi-fuel stove if it makes everyone feel better,
and I would never burn straight corn.

Anyways, one answer to my question is to use
Rutland Black Furnace Cement. Good to 2000
degrees! Yeah, baby!

Malak said:
It's a multi-fuel stove if it makes everyone feel better,
and I would never burn straight corn.

Anyways, one answer to my question is to use
Rutland Black Furnace Cement. Good to 2000
degrees! Yeah, baby!
It doesn't make me feel any better..... use the correct pipe..............Please

Something tells me that Malak won't 'get it' until he's sifting through the ashes of his former possessions and trying to come up with an explanation for the insurance company as to why the install didn't meet code...

If you do not use the correct pipe make sure you have a good "Fire Safety plan". You will need it.

Single wall pipe can not be used on a Bio, pellet, corn, or any combo type unit.

Eric

Am I correct in my theory that double walled pipe is used on pellet stoves because they exhaust if fan forced instead of natural draft? Therefore the exhaust can be "forced" through gaps? I think people get confused because we hear how much cooler they stay and think they are safer.

No. Clearance to combustibles and lower exhaust temps..

Eric

It's scary that some people will jeopardize safety and
intentionally ignore codes to save a couple bucks.
At the least, this person has the facts and info to
do it right. If he chooses not to he must face the
consequences. Nobody can force someone to do
the right thing.

don't you just love it when some moron asks a question and then answers his own question?
totally ignoring sound advice from people with knoweledge and experience just trying to help.

[quote author="Malak" date="1218488294"]Actually, it's a corn stove technically. I'm only

A tape that can only take 200 degrees is probably
not good enough in my opinion.

Glass cloth tape would work but not sure it's
available at home stores.[/qu

Just curious, where do you get corn and how much is it a bag.

jeremy said:
It certainly answered my question :)

I was considering using 6" 24GA for an elbow and then an UL-641 adapter down to UL-641 4" with a UL-641 4" pipe on the end.
I am not going through any "combustibles" just straight into a brick chimney, but I would rather be safe none the less, I plan on sleeping at night, and have a wife and kid to consider.

If it was just me and I lived in a shack in the woods surrounded by water it would be different....even then I would like to sleep.

It's not that I am that cheap but I have had a hard time finding 6" insulated elbows and pipes specifically for pellet stoves and when I do the prices are quiet high.
The cheapest I could find an adapter (6 in. to 4") was 67. U$, that was before I even got to the elbow and pipe that would come together to 89$.

It's like since so many people are switching to alternative fuels the companies are getting hip to it an hiking up the prices to take advantage of the trend....

If anyone knows how to do this cheaper (a distributor or alternative) that is also safe let me know.

sincerely

jeremy

Nope there is no cheaper way, maybe do an Internet search for on line suppliers. Pellet pipe is Stainless steal do to lower exhaust temps. There is a problem with combusted gas mixing with moisture from intake air and form burning pellets making a acid corrosive type substance. Also like any high efficiency heating appliances they are force draft so instead running under a negative pressure they now run positive pressure making it a dangerous situation if sub standard pipe fails. Also I would stay away from the Durvent as most people have problems with it.

Everyone here uses pellet pipe, 3 or 4 inch.

Depends how many bends and total length, at a point if the run is to long the four inch pipe comes into play. There are starter collars or transitions form 3 to 4 inch vent. The next question is where are you going to run the vent and how long is it going to be? Ohhhh wait a sec what out let size do you have? Do you have a much older stove?

jeremysdemo said:
I got that :)

What I don't got is a pellet stove that has a 3 or 4 inch outlet :)

jeremy

You have a pellet stove with a vent larger than 3 inch, how about a picture.

jeremysdemo said:
THankx

I have had a hard time finding the pipes I need.

I just got off the phone with "ALL SEASONS" near me and the lady who has worked their for 20 years never heard of a 6 inch pipe for a pellet stove. :)

I have looked at several online suppliers and all of the rated pellet stove pipes are 4 or 3 inch.
There are adapters that go from 4 in to 6 in but they are for going from a 4 in stove outlet to a 6 in chimney.

I am loosing patients and hope no one seems to have the answers to this dilema, although most people are trying to help.

I can't beleive even in a place like this that this is not a common question with a simple solution.

sincerely

jeremy

My stove vent kit came with 3" pipe.

I asked my dealer about larger vent pipe and was told never use anything larger than 4"... we don't even sell it! This comes frrom a dealer who sells nothing but pellet stoves and has 20years experience selling and servicing stoves.

Didin't ask why...

Status
Not open for further replies.