How Do You Set Your Thermostats, post Wood/Pellet Boiler Install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Do you keep the whole house warmer? Still doing setback? Etc?

No need to waste wood, but nice to have a warmer house.
I'm running my oil now more because I want to move the tank; I had forgotton how nice central heat is.

I still setback, but not as much - only 2°c.

Here's my setback schedule, 4 zones:

Weekdays:

-6:30am kitchen zone from 19c to 21c, for an hour, then back to 19c.
-4:30pm kitchen back to 21c.
-6:00pm bedroom zone 1 from 19c to 21c.
-6:30pm bedroom zone 2 from 19c to 21c
-11:00pm all zones back to 19c.
-repeat

Weekends:

-9am kitchen from 19c to 21c
-bedrooms same as weekday
-11pm all zones back to 19c.

The 4th. zone is living/TV room & office - no setback stat on that but I just turn up as needed, and turn down to 18c or so on way to bed. If anyone is home during the day, it usually goes to 20c when I get up. Then usually up another degree or two around supper time. The living room is typically 22-23c in the evening - kind of nice when lounging the days load off.

All that is done to try to jive my max heating load with when I'm getting the boiler fired up - typically late afternoon or suppertime. And it coasts my house on storage until I do burn.

We never turned our stats up above 20c with the old boiler, and usually setback to 17/18 for nights. So our house has never been warmer - and we quite often turn one zone or the other up higher than the programmed temps. But they all return to 19c for night.

My first floor is all radiant, so that always stays set @70. Bed room I like it cool, she likes it hot. That is on the who gets to the thermostat last before we go to bed.

Sure, sure, now, as the original poster, I have to convert : :)

19 = 66.2
21 = 69.8
18 = 64.4
22 = 71.6
23 = 73.4
20 = 68
17 = 62.6
18 = 64.4

house is 5-10* warmer now. used to setback 5* with oil. not anymore, keep constant temp. i found with storage temps not being as high as oil burner supply temps it takes a long time to respond and bring house back up to temp. not so bad if the wood boiler is firing but then i need to set my firing schedule to match thermostat rebounds and thats not what storage is all about.

Bedrooms 69::F rest of house 70::F 24/7. Radiant floor. Heat only from storage.

On Sunday nights my sun room gets shut down . Pellet stove is shut off , the wall heaters are set at 33 and the radiant infloor is set at 44 . Friday or Saturday the pellet stove is back on the wall heaters are set at 72 and the radiant infloor is set to 95 . The rest of the house stays set the same all the time unless we are having a hotub party then it seems to get set up to 75 or so down stairs .

Burning Oil, set therm 68Deg, 69Deg........Burning wood, 72-74Deg.....much warmer and happier wife.....

Status
Not open for further replies.