How Do You Space Rough-Edged Tile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
We're going to tile a kitchen backsplash. We've seen some 4" rough-edged ceramic tile that kind of emulates stone. How do you space them when setting? I'm used to using the little plastic spacers.

Stick with what you know and use the little plastic spacers. If you're like me you've still got a few hundred of them.

I did my backsplash in 12x12 marble tiles in a diamond patern and where I have two corners meet horizontally I put a pair of 4x4 blue glass tiles along the vertical axis and then capped it on the top end with 3x12" river rock cheater tiles. I used the same little spacers that I used on the kitchen floor...they were used more to keep the tiles from sagging while the mortar set than to actually maintain the spacing.

If you could post a photo it might help us visualize.

You can still use the little plastic spacers...just don't expect them to sit down flat defining the "four corners" kind of placement of smoothly finished tiles. If you want, for example, generally 1/8" spacing (but somewhat variable with the rough tiles), just use 1/8" tile spacers but stick them in edge-on, so that just one of the four arms is in use. I hope I've described that in a way that you can visualize what I'm talking about. 3/4 of the spacer will be sticking up proud of the surfaces of the tiles. Rick

There is a straight edge below the rough edge - maybe half the total thickness.
I think this space is wide enough for a spacer.
If they fit, and they fit in the corners, can I just leave them in there and cover them with grout? I'm not seeing why not.

I s'pose you could, but I never have. No guarantee the spacer's seated firmly against the surface, so there may be a bit of an air pocket there...plus the grout would be pretty shallow over the spacers. There's a simple and cheap tool available to facilitate getting those spacers to pop out after the thinset has set. Basically just a pointy-ended putty knife-looking thing with a handle. Works like a charm. Rick

Show us a pic when you get it done. Rick

What Rick said is spot on. Remove those spacers with the tool or you can use a mechanics O Ring pick if you can't find a tile spacer removal tool in your local stores. You will be glad you did, as you won't have a need to redo that grout in about 3-6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.