How do you stack wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeWizMan

Nov 29, 2006
Suburbs west of Detroit
I am in the process of of taking down a few dead oak trees on our property. One down 2 to go. The one down has been bucked and split and is waiting to be stacked. I started stacking the splits and got to thinking about which is the better way to stack the splits, bark side up or down? Which way would allow the wood to dry out better? Normally, when I stack wood I leave it totally out in the open to dry out and sometime in November I'll throw a tarp over it. But, until November, which way should I stack the wood, bark up or down?

Whichever way makes my stacks the most stable . . . if a split fits in better with the bark up, that's the way it goes . . . if a split fits in better with the bark down, that's the way it goes.

Reactions: ZZ Tom and Knots
Most of the Oak I get is dead-standing trees. If the sapwood is starting to punk I have been stacking bark down, figuring the punk will have less opportunity to absorb water. Probably not going to make much difference though, as I'll cover it anyway, when I get more cover material....

My theory is that most of the moisture comes out the ends, so I stack it any which way, so long as the wind can get at both ends of every pile.

I don't discriminate up or down.
I just want the splits stacked.

I was wondering if the bark itself has the characteristic of shedding water and if it does then at least I should be putting the bark side up on the top of the wood stack. But, maybe not, because I was told a long time ago by someone that the only way water will exit the interior of a wood split is through evaporation and perhaps a little with sublimation when it's freezing. They went on to say that after the wood gets wet that evaporation of water on the surface of the wood actually draws out the water from the interior due to the adhesion property of water molecules. So, if this science trivia is true we should want the wood to get wet and dry over and over again and that is what the seasoning of wood is all about. So, what do you think? Am I on to something here or am I barking up the wrong tree. ;)

The wife and I finally got around to watching the kids movie "Frozen" the other day. There is a quick bit with a couple guys arguing about stacking wood with the bark up or down. I laughed pretty hard, and my wife had no idea why, but I thought it was remarkable that some Disney writers actually knew the topic of bark orientation is really something that people actually argue about!

I'm a bark on the top guy, but I don't really know if it matters.

evaporation of water on the surface of the wood actually draws out the water from the interior due to the adhesion property of water molecules.

I'd guess this is inaccurate folklore. If the principle was true that surface water pulls more interior water to the surface, then it's a self-perpetuating mechanism that doesn't need an outside source of water to pull interior water out. But I've been wrong before. Give it enough time and it'll dry.

"Frozen" the other day. There is a quick bit with a couple guys arguing about stacking wood with the bark up or down. I laughed pretty hard, and my wife had no idea why, but I thought it was remarkable that some Disney writers actually knew the topic of bark orientation is really something that people actually argue about!

One of the things I like about Disney movies is that there is always a few tidbits in there that only the adults would understand and appreciate.;)

Reactions: Seanm
I was wondering if the bark itself has the characteristic of shedding water and if it does then at least I should be putting the bark side up on the top of the wood stack. But, maybe not, because I was told a long time ago by someone that the only way water will exit the interior of a wood split is through evaporation and perhaps a little with sublimation when it's freezing. They went on to say that after the wood gets wet that evaporation of water on the surface of the wood actually draws out the water from the interior due to the adhesion property of water molecules. So, if this science trivia is true we should want the wood to get wet and dry over and over again and that is what the seasoning of wood is all about. So, what do you think? Am I on to something here or am I barking up the wrong tree. ;)
I think, if you're like me, your mind wanders when you're stacking wood.

Reactions: Knots
They went on to say that after the wood gets wet that evaporation of water on the surface of the wood actually draws out the water from the interior due to the adhesion property of water molecules. So, if this science trivia is true we should want the wood to get wet and dry over and over again and that is what the seasoning of wood is all about. So, what do you think? Am I on to something here or am I barking up the wrong tree. ;)

Here in South Africa the informal firewood sellers will tell you to make sure the green wood gets wet often to make it season faster. Well they actually don't know the word "season", they call it 'dried'. I am having a busy time explaining the difference to them.

Reactions: ole
I think a wood dealer will want his stock to look weathered. That would give people the impression that it has been around a long time and is therefor dry.

I'm just a mechanical engineer getting into wood burning. I know nothing about stacking wood for drying purposes. I assume that bark holds moisture, so if your stack is covered, put the bark side down and that allows the exposed surface to dry more quickly.

I think if you are trying to burn green wood so quickly that the stacking orientation makes a difference, you're splitting the hair a bit thin and need a better time buffer.

My $.02. Likely worth $.01.

It. does. not. matter.

My stacks sit out in the open uncovered with the ends facing the wind direction. Bark up, down it doesn't matter. Only time they'll get covered is in the wintr when they reach my back patio.

Just top cover them and it will make no difference at all. Honestly i don't think it maters even if you don't top cover but i top cover as soon as they are stacked. To me if you are trying to get something to dry keeping water off of it is a good idea.

I have never top covered. I don't think it matters. The only issue is having dry wood to bring in, but I'm adding a roof to my wood bin this summer, but that's another thread.

Heck, 90% of my wood is Bark-Less but the stuff with bark is stacked to create a good stack. Bark up, down, never thought about it.

I always to cover. Average something silly like 10ft of annual snow fall here.

Made it through my first season as a wood burner, and wondered this question myself. So I stacked some up, some down, playing the odds.

The bark often separates from the wood as the wood seasons. If wood is stacked bark down, the bark becomes a bowl and the wood is then sitting in a bowl. The bowl can fill with water. I always stack bark up.

One split at a time !
Any way it fits stable with air gaps, prefer bark on the top though as after many years of this I have seen bark collecting water and holding it which promotes bacterial growth (rot). dang Wood duck beat me to it. That's what happens when posting from the shop.

If you havent developed your own personal philosophy about the merits either way, I suggest that you experiment with a 50/50 stacking method.
Half up and half down. If youre like me you will get bored with the whole thing before you discover any results (since that takes years).
I cover my stacks with galvanized tin. It looks real shanty slummish.
If you are sculpting walls of wood in some celtic knot patterns around the perimeter of your house...you will just have wait and see. (Which method works)
I process alot of limbs in the round, twigs and dead punky stuff, mostly half rotted oak, so I cover with tin. Either the bark is all the way around or its completely rotted off.

Generally Im bark up, though. Lol
I have a guy friend who purchased one of those Wood Mizer portable bandsaws and he was slabbing very large pieces of white pine thru his conveyor system and he was storing the slabs upright in his building(temporarily) he noticed and showed me the puddles of water from the wood losing water out the ends of the boards.
Him and I discussed stacking and storing wood upright in the same orientation as in the tree for faster drying. But neither of us were ambitious enough to impliment a plan.
Now you are probably saying, 'whats this got to do with bark up and down....what will help the wood dry quicker...better...or help the wood store longer in the stacks/piles?
It doesnt really have anything to do with it. Just that bark orientation is down on the list of what helps to dry/preserve wood.
Sawmills debark trees for proper drying but I have seen Black Walnut sold at lumber yards with bark attached. So....
Your preference comes down to personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.