How do you stack your wood grain side up or bark side up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bark side up, mostly.
If the bark was good enough to handle the weather when the tree was standing, it's good enough to handle any downward weather (rain) while it's laying down.
If the bark starts to separate from the wood while drying, it tends to make a great water reservoir, so bark down can catch water and pool it, keeping moisture in my pile. I want it to shed all the water away, so it can dry faster.
$0.02

I mark the sides of the logs which side of the tree was North before I spilt them, then I strategically stack them north side of log up, and top side of tree pointed toward west. Stacking splits Feng Shui aligning the Heavans and the Earth, has dramatically improved my seasoning. Pointing the splits top ends towards the west also allows for optimal sunlight exposure and the rotational acceleration force of the earth drives the moisture out of the wood.

afblue said:
I mark the sides of the logs which side of the tree was North before I spilt them, then I strategically stack them north side of log up, and top side of tree pointed toward west. Stacking splits Feng Shui aligning the Heavans and the Earth, has dramatically improved my seasoning. Pointing the splits top ends towards the west also allows for optimal sunlight exposure and the rotational acceleration force of the earth drives the moisture out of the wood.

Essentially you've created the worlds first earth powered wood drying centrifuge lol :)

Ray

i stack bark down, the very top row i try to rectangle cut and thin as to form a mini roof over the rest... dunno which is better but usually any wood that gets used at least 18 months later is always burnable

Stack stability is primary. The splits will all season in time.

afblue said:
Isn't that backwards? If the tree in life wicked moisture into the wood with that side facing north, in death shouldn't that side be pointed south to allow the water to flow out of the splits and back into the Earth? Harmony.

ive got a special steel device that seasons and burns the wood for me all at the same time lol

quads said:
afblue said:
Isn't that backwards? If the tree in life wicked moisture into the wood with that side facing north, in death shouldn't that side be pointed south to allow the water to flow out of the splits and back into the Earth? Harmony.

Great Now I need to restack!!! Will remember to plant the trees roots down on arborist day.

It don't make any difference. Just stack it and keep it off the ground in a sunny, windy area with just the top covered! That's it!!

yanksforever said:
It don't make any difference. Just stack it and keep it off the ground in a sunny, windy area with just the top covered! That's it!!

Fully agree! It all seasons in 12 to 18 months anyway, regardless how it is pointing, N, S, E or W.

KISS principle = Keep It Simple S....

i justn stack it how it fits best and however it is most stable

yanksforever said:
Actually, I keep it even simpler than that. I stack the bottom layer of splits directly on the ground, no cover, and regardless of shade or wind. But I still lean towards bark side up. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.