How do you stack your wood in the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How do you primary stack your wood in the stove?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
The one disadvantage i can see with my Harman stove is that i can only effectively burn my wood in a N/S line up.The reason for this is that the after burn chamber in the back takes away from the stoves wood burning depth.I get alittle jealous that my dads and brothers regency I2400 stoves have so much more depth and they can just throw wood in the stove in any direction.The harman i have has a bigger firebox 2.6 cbft vs I2400 2.3 cbft,but unless i find a way to stack the wood high and keep it from falling against the glass it dosnt help me much.So!how do you stack it?and do you have any problem with the wood falling against the glass.PS! How close can the wood be buring to the front door glass before it becomes a problem with dirtying up the glass.Im willing to bet that wood burners who place their wood N/S are having cleaner glass than others burning E/W.

I have a lot of cutoffs from wood that was 20", 22" long that was cut by others (FREE). I use those for stacking north to south.

There was no "All of the above" option so I chose East-West since that is how I stoke it for overnight. 3.1 cu ft box, 23 inch wide, wood bucked to around 20 inches. Daytime burning will often lay wood on the diagonal.

All of the above.
Mostly north south as it is easier, sometimes east west for a longer burn, sometimes lengths of odd pieces annoy me and I get them in any way I can.

Mostly N/S for me as well. I have a pair of leather gloves that are long enough to cover my wrists as well. HOWEVER!

When I rake the coals to the front for an overnite burn, and then try to carefully place the large splits at the rear="ouch". Those coals are damn hot. Also I can load 20" n/s and only 18" e/w. Might just have to invest in some welding gloves if I`m gonna get serious about e/w loading. :cheese:

all of the above... if i am lazy n/s if i am thinking e/w
when i am concentrating e/w then n/s combined

horizontal......is that a choice?

East / West works the best for the Homestead due to the smaller firebox (2.0 cu ft.).

stanleyjohn said:
The one disadvantage i can see with my Harman stove is that i can only effectively burn my wood in a N/S line up.The reason for this is that the after burn chamber in the back takes away from the stoves wood burning depth.I get alittle jealous that my dads and brothers regency I2400 stoves have so much more depth and they can just throw wood in the stove in any direction.The harman i have has a bigger firebox 2.6 cbft vs I2400 2.3 cbft,but unless i find a way to stack the wood high and keep it from falling against the glass it dosnt help me much.So!how do you stack it?and do you have any problem with the wood falling against the glass.PS! How close can the wood be buring to the front door glass before it becomes a problem with dirtying up the glass.Im willing to bet that wood burners who place their wood N/S are having cleaner glass than others burning E/W.

I'm just the opposite . . . the Oslo's firebox and the size of my wood means just about all of my wood (except for the "chunks") go in East-West as North-South is not much of an option with this long, narrow (but not so wide firebox). So far dirty glass has not been an issue unless a) I'm turning down the air too much as in completely shut or b) I've had wood stacked right up against the glass . . . and even then the "staining" goes away on the next load up when the temps get high enough.

In answer to your questions . . . and pertaining to my East/West loading . . . I try to carefully place splits to the front vs. tossing them right in next to the glass and/or placing rounds where they might roll into the glass. If I do use a round in the front I place it so that it should fall backwards, away from the glass as the wood underneath is burned.

While my wife is exceptionally careful about how close she puts the wood in relation to the glass I am not so careful . . . especially when I'm loading up for the night. I'll put the wood right up to the glass on occasion, but I carefully place it into the firebox (using the firegloves) and stack it so that wood shouldn't be dropping or rolling into the glass.

Ive been known to go corner to corner to make it fit.

ns during the day, ew on cold nights. On an angle when they are too long...yep E) all of the above!!!

NS on a full load but the small load is two NS with two pieces corner to corner on the top. Keeps the afterburner going that way. I never pack the stove tight with wood as it seems to restrict the airflow to much. Suppose it may be ok if I had a full bed of coals but we only load twice a day this time of year

Status
Not open for further replies.