How do you store your saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Now that I just picked up saw number four I'm trying to find a way to store them in the garage instead of just leaving them on the floor :lol: I was thinking of taking a 2x10 and cutting slots in it with a router and then mounting it on the wall so that I could put the bar through the slot and rest the power head on top of the board. Any reason not to store them that way? It would get them up off of the ground, and would be more secure than just setting them on a shelf. Most importantly, it will look really cool ;)

I see no reason why it would be a problem

Why bother with the router? Just bore cut the board with the saw to fit.

Speaking of bore cuts to hold saws. Guy down the road has about an 8" cedar post in a 5 gallon bucket filled with concrete that he bore cut and stores his saws in. Pretty neat idea really

Although it's not the most elegant, it gets them off the floor.

September0611002.jpg

September0611001.jpg

727sunset said:
Although it's not the most elegant, it gets them off the floor.

Wow-is that your basement? That's a hell of a girder! ;)

Dropping stuff off at the landfill one day I saw a guy next to me getting rid of a brand new clamshell car top carrier. I brought if home and put it by the splitter. It holds all of my saws, tools for them and PPE.

I am trying to find the picture, but the coolest storage I ever saw was a log with bore cuts to hold chainsaws. It was really cool. Here is one that has the basic idea, but I saw a better one.

Attachments

• chainsawstorage.jpg
    chainsawstorage.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 413
"One of these things is not like the other....." lol That Husky is outnumbered! :ahhh:

garage shelf

If you don't trust your shelf to hold a saw you need new shelves.

Hooks are nice, too.
Gotta be careful with weight on them though.
I won't hang a ladder on cheap ones any more.

On a milled slab.

Attachments

• hog.jpg
    hog.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 328
GolfandWoodNut said:
I am trying to find the picture, but the coolest storage I ever saw was a log with bore cuts to hold chainsaws. It was really cool. Here is one that has the basic idea, but I saw a better one.

Nice! I did find this-you can guess where:

IMG_1452.jpg

billb3 said:
garage shelf
If you don't trust your shelf to hold a saw you need new shelves.

I trust the garage shelves just fine, but the more saws you put up there the more awkward it gets-especially the ones with longer bars. I think I'm going to build a "shelf" out of a 5 or 6' piece of 2x12 I have laying around and screw it to the wall in the garage. I'll bore cut four holes through it and store them that way. That way the bars will be pointing down and I could fit a bunch of saws up there.

Badfish740 said:
Now that I just picked up saw number four I'm trying to find a way to store them in the garage instead of just leaving them on the floor :lol: I was thinking of taking a 2x10 and cutting slots in it with a router and then mounting it on the wall so that I could put the bar through the slot and rest the power head on top of the board. Any reason not to store them that way? It would get them up off of the ground, and would be more secure than just setting them on a shelf. Most importantly, it will look really cool ;)

This is how they displayed them in Boonville 2010.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1250.jpg
    100_1250.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 350
On a shelf in my garage with the bar pointing out and the saw at a 45 degree angle with a steel cable running through all of the handles and a padlock on the end. I do, however, take off the 42" bar on the 395.

Here's my storage system.

Attachments

• 080611100214.jpg
    080611100214.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 217
Got mine cleaned, sharp and on a shelf atfter cutting. Only have 2

Status
Not open for further replies.