How do you teach a woman how to plow snow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Thinking that Mother Nature being as she sometimes can be, no doubt there will be a need for some snow plowing while I'm healing from surgery. So this afternoon I took my wife back by one of the wood piles. We needed some snow moved away so we can work better in there.....so okay Mrs Backwoods Savage, this is how it is done.

I made two passes with the blade straight and then told her to do the same thing but to clear from there to here. Then I slanted the blade and told her to make a new road from here to there. Well, amazingly, it went quite well.....but I do hope she doesn't have to do much of it while I can't. Now did I say that nice enough?

We did get that area by the wood pile cleaned up so now we can haul some of that out as we are making a deal with someone. It is called barter and it should work out nicely and with the snow moved, it will make things much nicer.

So, has anyone else tried to teach their wife to plow snow?

On the other hand, one time when I was plant foreman in a shop, we bought a fork lift which had a very wide set of forks. There were 4 forks and if I remember right it was 14' from one side to the other. The fork lift could be driven forward and backward or you could change and drive it sideways to go down the aisles where we had the stuff stacked. I trained one fellow to run the lift and he did very well. Soon I had the idea that just he and I were not enough to run the fork lift and I ended up teaching 2 young ladies how to drive it. Yes, it was a task, but in the end they did almost as well as the young man did. I felt rather proud of that accomplishment and it left me with more time for more important tasks. So, it can be done.

Give your wife a chance, Savage, she just might surprise you. We girls are quite capable when given the chance, and she has the advantage of you taking the time to show her what to do. Just give her a quick verbal refresher if the times comes when she has to use the plow, and I'm sure she'll do fine!

And best wishes for your surgery - here's to hoping it is uneventful!

Worry not! You can bet your booties I'll be very verbal with her. lol Well, I think she will get along just fine and I'll give her more practice in the next few days as it appears we have 2 light snow falls coming at us. That will be great practice.

Thanks Cate.

Backwoods Savage said:
Worry not! You can bet your booties I'll be very verbal with her. lol Well, I think she will get along just fine and I'll give her more practice in the next few days as it appears we have 2 light snow falls coming at us. That will be great practice.

Thanks Cate.

Wow good luck with this one...If she can mow in stright line you got a real shot!

Well, she can't walk straight Jay, but I did get her to stop chewing gum while walking...

I can't get my wife to stop using the choke to kill the engine. When I try to correct her, she just wants to choke me too. My yard tractor has a hydro with a clutch/brake and she wants to drive it like a standard. She wants me to show her how to run the snow thrower.

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Thanks Cate.

Wow good luck with this one...If she can mow in stright line you got a real shot!

Now just back the train up a minute fella! When I sprained my ankle, I had to ban my brother-in-law from mowing my lawn. He got one chance and blew it...my yard looked like a maze through a corn field - it was embarrassing! But...then again, he is a city boy. Fudge...never mind. :)

Savage - you are quite welcome. Be sure to let us know how she does.

LLigetfa said:
I can't get my wife to stop using the choke to kill the engine. When I try to correct her, she just wants to choke me too. My yard tractor has a hydro with a clutch/brake and she wants to drive it like a standard. She wants me to show her how to run the snow thrower.

Ah, no choke on this machine! Nice!

Backwoods Savage said:
Well, she can't walk straight Jay, but I did get her to stop chewing gum while walking...

LOL Know advise from me then.

Provoquer??

Really just teach her like anyone else, meaning as politely and patiently- keep it fun and stress free. Patience and pratice. Conngradulate and praise. Oh, and move stuff you'd be mad if it got hit.

Cate said:
smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Thanks Cate.

Now just back the train up a minute fella! When I sprained my ankle, I had to ban my brother-in-law from mowing my lawn. He got one chance and blew it...my yard looked like a maze through a corn field - it was embarrassing! But...then again, he is a city boy. Fudge...never mind. :)

Savage - you are quite welcome. Be sure to let us know how she does.

Nothing worse than a circle jerk!

Backwoods Savage said:
Now did I say that nice enough?
I think so, but probably up to Mrs. BS :cheese: Something tells me you two don't have those kinds of problems and I'm guessing she will take care of everything (and you) just fine while you recuperate. Take care and get well quick. Steve

Have you been talking to my wife again Steve? Ya, we get along pretty well.

:gulp:
smokinjay said:

being me, I just had to look up what that meant- read some stuff I didn't really need to know - THANKS ALOT!! :gulp:

szmaine said:
smokinjay said:

being me, I just had to look up what that meant- read some stuff I didn't really need to know - THANKS ALOT!! :gulp:

lol In the context of mowing............. ;-)

In the olden days I would have asked:
"How do turn your dishwasher into a snowblower? Hand her a shovel!"
I would never say stuff like that now though, because it's very inappropriate.

Backwoods Savage said:
Have you been talking to my wife again Steve? Ya, we get along pretty well.
Nope, don't have to, its obvious. ;-) By the way, My 86 year old mother has had both hips replaced and one is great....the other one has given her lots of problems. It turned out the second Dr. said it wasn't the right size, yikes. Make sure that Dr. gives you a good one. :exclaim:

Backwoods Savage said:

holy man dennis! what the heck are you going to do when mrs. ornery reads this thread??? you probably won't make it to surgery! or maybe when she plows, she'll just leave and take the plow with her!
glad to see you on the site again. how long do you think you'll be off the web?

Worry not Dave. She usually gets a kick out of reading the posts! And she does read a lot of them.

I think we have stumbled upon the "real" reason she said "go ahead buy that big fancy soft riding quad" She must have known how this was all gonna work out. I am confident your hip will turn out well, but good luck gettin' that nice quad back from her!

Yeah I taught my wife to plow snow and she impressed the heck out of me. She went from a minvan mom to snowplow driver over night. She climbed in the cab I told her what controls to use and when and she went to it. WOW can she plow snow. She gives me a run for my money

Jeff

smokinjay said:
szmaine said:
smokinjay said:

Thanks for clearing that up...I was kinda wondering too. And I know you guys like to make fun of women, and that's ok as long as it doesn't get too mean, but I have to tell you - when I put my insert in last spring, I told the bro-in-law, the city boy - not to slam city folk, but I told him during the summer I was going to fill it with ice and use it as an air conditioner.

He believed me.

Dear Lord. I am rarely rendered speechless, but that one got me.

Cate said:
smokinjay said:
szmaine said:
smokinjay said:

Thanks for clearing that up...I was kinda wondering too. And I know you guys like to make fun of women, and that's ok as long as it doesn't get too mean, but I have to tell you - when I put my insert in last spring, I told the bro-in-law, the city boy - not to slam city folk, but I told him during the summer I was going to fill it with ice and use it as an air conditioner.

He believed me.

Dear Lord. I am rarely rendered speechless, but that one got me.

lol My Gf

Attachments

• splitting wood.jpg
    splitting wood.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 288
Backwoods Savage said:

Heck Yeh,
I have a little new holland 455 skid steer and my wife "loves" to run it. When it snow's I have to work lots of OT so she gets all the fun. She will plow the driveway around all the vehicles, move them and plow the rest. Then plow out to the Garage, to the wood boiler, and a path to the house from the boiler......I get NO fun at all......
When we cut wood, I drop, buck and then fill the bucket with rounds and she runs them over and dumps in the trailer....it is awesome working together......she has a lot of fun and so do I. It's amazing how that little skid steer makes the "perfect" woods, wood gathering machine.

varna said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Heck Yeh,
I have a little new holland 455 skid steer and my wife "loves" to run it. When it snow's I have to work lots of OT so she gets all the fun. She will plow the driveway around all the vehicles, move them and plow the rest. Then plow out to the Garage, to the wood boiler, and a path to the house from the boiler......I get NO fun at all......
When we cut wood, I drop, buck and then fill the bucket with rounds and she runs them over and dumps in the trailer....it is awesome working together......she has a lot of fun and so do I. It's amazing how that little skid steer makes the "perfect" woods, wood gathering machine.

+1 but its just a small jd 135

Status
Not open for further replies.