1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How do you teach a woman how to plow snow?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Backwoods Savage, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    The problem is that when you get back to plowing, Mrs. Savage is going to be telling you how you're doing it wrong. It would be almost worth lettin the snow pile up to avoid that problem.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    What kind of plow is this with out a choke?
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    well... to or through? Mrs. BWS might bring her own indelible ink pen to sign the DNR.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

Good luck. If I let the women I know run anything like the plow there would be corners of the house and garage missing in no time. Hell sometimes I thing just driving a car is a challenge for them.
  5. Stump_Branch

Stump_Branch Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD
    i think the plow ought to be the easy part. its the cleaning up afterwards i find the most challenging to get through. putting tools away wipping them off etc. one of these days after a project is done i hope to not have to go on a scavenger hunt for all of them.

on a side note, 10 in of heavy wet snow last night. all by hand, no plow, no snow thrower. i am just sooo jealous. on my way out this morning neighbor made a somewhat snide comment about helping to clear our private road, "we all have to go to work" from a guy using a snow blower. I am not sure if any of them even went to work yesterday, who kows about today. i leave before them and get home after them. i wish i had a flexible workplace that i could have stuck around to help and but i dont. besides i am at the end of the road. im not hand shoveling a quarter mile. one guy has a plow, all the others have snow blowers. that would be like me showing up to smokin jays cutting party with a hoop saw.
  6. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I'd be picking stone out of the yard for years!!
  7. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Hey, guys! Don't be too rough on us women! ;) In my case, I HAD to learn how to run/maintain our riding mower myself; how to plow snow myself; how to repair a mis-aligned sump pump myself; determine where a roof leak was/how to get it repaired myself; etc., etc., when hubby suddenly got ill. While I might not be doing things 'exactly' like he did those projects are getting done and in the process I am learning a lot. My current issue is/was determining why the rider with snowblower attachment wouldn't start - it wasn't 'choking' - I have to fiddle with the cable/housing sometime this week.

It's not all a bad thing to teach your wife how to do things - you just never know when she might HAVE to do them in an emergency or on a long term basis.
  8. Uper

Uper Member

Loc:
    Eastern UP, MI
    To answer the thread question, VERY CAREFULLY! :lol: But, I want to add to be careful Dennis she may put you out of a job! ;-)
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    LOL Never thought of that...She going to take that quad over!
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    No choke on the atv. Fuel injected.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Shari, we can be rough on the ladies....but it is just in fun. I still respect women the same as men. I do like the difference in the plumbing though.
  12. Stump_Branch

Loc:
    MD
    hahaha, id agree. except ill keep mine easier to take a leak in the woods.
  13. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Now, to keep this a 'clean' conversation, let's talk about plumbing issues I've dealt with: The doo hickey that is connected to the handle on the toilet pulled out of the rubber thingy that stoppers up the water inside the tank on the toilet. I finally found the correct doo hickey at the hardware store, improvised a connection wire (retrofitting on a 1950's toilet is no fun) and now when we flush it actually flushes! :)

memo to self: Find someone in the hardware store who knows and understands when I call a plumbing part a 'doo hickey'. :)
  14. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    You are one cool, can-do lady Shari . . . your husband is a lucky guy . . . and I suspect you know that he knows that already! You go girl!!!
  15. Stump_Branch

Loc:
    MD

My wife can give you some ideas. i send her out to get pieces all the time. i use the proper name, but thats gets lost on the way. she has drawn pictures for the guy at the store.
    so far only came home with the wrong parts twice, and once was my own fault, so shes doing alright.
  16. colebrookman

colebrookman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middlefield, Ma
    It's funny Dennis, my wife and I were just discussing how she could plow our woods road/driveway if I wasn't able. She refuses to drive the Allis Chalmers, to big, no brakes and worst of all, no heated cab. Maybe a new toy in the works for summer. Looking at a Kubota, around 50 hps. 4wheel drive, heated cab. A good husband always tries to keep his wife happy, right. Course now we have to find the$$. Good luck with the surgery. Be safe.
    Ed
  17. ChillyGator

ChillyGator New Member

Loc:
    NorthFlorida
  18. Lynch

Lynch Member

Loc:
    northern maine
    give her a shovel not a plow.

i would never let mine snow blow the driveway!
  19. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Assuming she would even deign do that, I'd just tell her the key is in the tractor. Plow's attached to the tractor.
  20. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Some funny posts here. I think my wife will do okay and if we don't get any more snow than we've got so far this winter there will be no problem.

I like Shari's ‘doo hickey’ talk. I was informed that is a first cousin to a thing-a-ma-bob. It is also sort of related to a whatchmacallit. My wife was a bit concerned though when she saw the switch to the winch and it has "In" and "Out" on the switch. That caused a bit of discussion.
  21. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I started training Mrs. Flatbedford early.
    [​IMG]
    She does OK, lust doesn't have the same enthusiasm for it that I do.

Attached Files:

22. Cate68

Cate68 Member

Loc:
    Akron, OH
    I love tractors, especially old ones. My dad just got a Farmall Cub, I want to say 1946, maybe? over the summer to tinker with and my uncle has a huge John Deere collection. The L is my favorite, and I am just in awe of them when I visit his place. I can't blame your wife for not wanting to drive the Allis if it doesn't have brakes!
  23. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    My wife does it perfectly!
    Why, just this morning.....she allowed our little dog to come wake me up by licking my face.
    She then said "I fed her, but she could not get out to pee"....of course, because snow was piled up deep outside!

So, I got out of bed, she got back in....and I spent 3/4 of an hour cleaning everything and making sure the dog pooped and peed.

Then she woke up and said "really? You did all that?"......

See, she knows perfectly well how to do it.

If I was not around, she would grab the builder 2 doors down who likes her and has a truck with a plow. If he wasn't there, she'd get the guy with the tractor across the street....

Easy. This is why women are taking over the world....it's that "communication and get along with others" thing!
  24. colebrookman

colebrookman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middlefield, Ma
    Ya but that's what keeps us in "perfect husband" status. All that work to keep them happy and content. Be safe.
    Ed
  25. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    are you dating backwoods savage???

cant tell from the positon of the picture (sitting to split)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.