How do you tell the difference between the "Old" Appling County Pellets and the "New"???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexei27

Jun 29, 2008
eastern LI
I have seen a few threads that say APC pellets have improved dramatically. They are available in my area (Long Island) and are still the least expensive.

Assuming the new version is far superior to the old...how can I tell the difference? Does anyone know when the new pellets started to be distributed? I could ask the supplier...but I imagine he could just as easily tell me they were the new ones if I had no way to tell.

Thanks!!!

I guess what I am wondering...can I tell up front? Different bag?

Do pellets have a "born on" date :)

I have tried both and there bags were about the same. I didn't notice much difference. The only difference noted was the pellets them selfes as pook said.

1st batch was very dark in color. Dark brown to almost black. Second batch was a light brown to tan color.

My opinion was second batch was better but still not a premium pellet. I would spend a little more to get a better pellet than ACP's junk. One word discribes them YUK!

jay

Thats good to know...

It's about $50 more for Country Boys. The $150 for 3 tons might be worth it...

You might be better off playing it safe and figuring you're more likely to get what you pay for. Have you done a search on this site for comments about the pellet brands in your area? Could be tedious and the contents of these bags change a lot, but maybe some comments could help you narrow your choices. Also, when you are down to two or three suppliers, it might be worthwhile to check out their websites and see what they say about their ash content and the BTUs they generate.

It's time consuming but a couple of hours online might save you money and also keep your stove from getting screwed up with junk.

LOOK I HAVE A HARMAN P-68 AND i JUST BOUGHT 4 TONS OF ACP PELLETS. I STARTED BURNING THEM A FEW DAYS AGO AND THEY BURN GREAT AND THE I CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE AMOUNT OF ASH FROM ANY OTHER PELLET. I BOUGHT THE PELLETS FOR $220/TON AND THEY WERE A LOT CHEAPER THEN ANY OTHER PELLET. tHE MORAL OF THE STORY IS TO GET A GOOD PELLET STOVE THAT WILL BURN ANYTHING AND REAP THE REWARDS WITH THE YEARLY PELLET BUY. i THINK TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO MAKE A SCIENCE OF ALL OF THE PELLET STOVE VARIABLES. YOU HAVE A STOVE, BUY THE PELLETS, FEED THE STOVE, GET HEAT AND ASH AND SMOKE AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. I HAVE READ SO MANY NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT ACP PELLETS BUT I SAID THAT THEY ARE CHEAPER AND STILL A WOOD PELLET SO I THINK IT IS WORTH IT TO GIVE THEM A SHOT. SO I DID AND THEY ARE A PELLET JUST LIKE ALL OF THE REST. I ALSO BOUGHT PENNINGTON PELLETS LAST YEAR AND EVERYONE SAID THEY WERE SOOOO BAD BUT I THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD. I BELIEVE MANY PEOPLE JUST WANT SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. PEACE

please302 said:
LOOK I HAVE A HARMAN P-68 AND i JUST BOUGHT 4 TONS OF ACP PELLETS. I STARTED BURNING THEM A FEW DAYS AGO AND THEY BURN GREAT AND THE I CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE AMOUNT OF ASH FROM ANY OTHER PELLET. I BOUGHT THE PELLETS FOR $220/TON AND THEY WERE A LOT CHEAPER THEN ANY OTHER PELLET. tHE MORAL OF THE STORY IS TO GET A GOOD PELLET STOVE THAT WILL BURN ANYTHING AND REAP THE REWARDS WITH THE YEARLY PELLET BUY. i THINK TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO MAKE A SCIENCE OF ALL OF THE PELLET STOVE VARIABLES. YOU HAVE A STOVE, BUY THE PELLETS, FEED THE STOVE, GET HEAT AND ASH AND SMOKE AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. I HAVE READ SO MANY NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT ACP PELLETS BUT I SAID THAT THEY ARE CHEAPER AND STILL A WOOD PELLET SO I THINK IT IS WORTH IT TO GIVE THEM A SHOT. SO I DID AND THEY ARE A PELLET JUST LIKE ALL OF THE REST. I ALSO BOUGHT PENNINGTON PELLETS LAST YEAR AND EVERYONE SAID THEY WERE SOOOO BAD BUT I THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD. I BELIEVE MANY PEOPLE JUST WANT SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. PEACE

sure,sure, ok, just calm down

Well said BTU. FRAM can ship ALL the ACP's overseas that they want.......do us a favor. Let the European Union deal with all the ash & fines.

I have this funny feeling that Mr. Please is shouting at us because he has some sort of vested interest.

I'm in complete agreement. There is plenty of room for reasoned disagreement about what's the right pellet for one stove owner versus another, a very good pellet versus a middle of the road pellet, the most cost effective buy for a given stove and the owner's personal situation. There's little justification for tendentious and disjointed and, I'm sorry to say, discourteous posts.

I've given my opinion on ACPs a few times now and I would not endorse the product. I agree they burn pretty well in the burn pot and they produce fairly reasonable heat on the off season. What you don't see is what is going on behind the ash and the fire pot! The residue that is left all over the fan blades, the heat exchangers, the exhaust pipe is CRAZY. Literally could ruin a very expensive investment. Why settle when you can have the piece of mind on another brand pellet that has great reviews like Country Boy. Yeah, I've burned country boy for two years. Good reliable pellet. I would be burning them again if I didn't have another source in getting pellets at a reasonable price. my2Cents

Status
Not open for further replies.