how do you use your envi blocks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCPrincess

Oct 13, 2014
Westbury, ny
I just bought a ton of Envi 8 Blocks. Mainly because I recently got very wet wood that is useless-- requires too much work for barely any heat output. Last night we used our blocks for the first time and mixed it with this wet wood. It worked beautifully. i mixed them so I don't have to use all the blocks exclusively (expensive).

How do you do it?

I use them the same way you are. Last year my wood was not good so I burned the Envi 8 Blocks and threw wet wood on top, when I say wet wood the mc was about 25%. This year my wood is good so I haven't burned a whole lot of them but I always keep them on hand and every once in a while I'll throw a couple of them in there. I really like them they burn hot!

I just bought a ton of Envi 8 Blocks. Mainly because I recently got very wet wood that is useless-- requires too much work for barely any heat output. Last night we used our blocks for the first time and mixed it with this wet wood. It worked beautifully. i mixed them so I don't have to use all the blocks exclusively (expensive).

How do you do it?
Keep your eye on your flue and check it every month for creosote accumulation. If the wood is wet it is cooling down the flue gases. The Envi brick will help elevate temps, but it's good to be cautious until you get completely past this unseasoned wood period. Be sure to have your next season's wood stacked and top covered now or very soon.

how many blocks would you go through in a day? were there any issues with creosote using your wet wood when mixing?
Like Begreen said check your flue monthly! Burning wet wood will make creosote build up fast! When i was burning them there was not much build up but i burned mostly the blocks and would throw some wood on once in a while when i could find some dryer pieces. Wet wood sucks! I would burn no more then 3 of those blocks at a time by themselves and that was plenty of heat for us. We have a Quadrafire 2700i it is a smaller stove but heats our house great. I was always afraid of over firing the stove with those. My Dealer has a Quadrafire 5700 and he burns a 6pack at a time !!! I couldn't imagine that nor would i recommend that. As you get to know your stove and burning those blocks you will know when you have hit your limit. wood takes a while to season 1-3 year depending on what you get and your drying conditions but once you have seasoned wood what a joy your stove will be:cool:

I would go through about a 1-2 packs of those blocks a day but we dont burn 24/7 our schedule and smaller stove doesn't allow it.

Not terrible, but not so great either. If you can bring in loads indoors for even a few days it will help a little.

How do you do it?
I also mix them with cordwood. I gauge the quality of my burn and to make sure the temp is a

How do you do it?
I mix the Envi's to regulate my stove temperature. I now use them at startup. I place 2 of them on a thin layer of kindling and place 3 small chunks of fire starter near the base. Then on top I put a bunch of kindling as well to get a top down effect. I use a propane torch to light it and have a beautiful fire without any smoke in 5 minutes. Once it is going strong I throw in cordwood and it lights right up. If you are doing it right you can pull back the damper controlling the heat and keep a solid burn going. I feel like my damper is my gauge. If I have to run wide open the stove is operating at too low a temperature so in goes another couple of Envi's.
For questionable splits I put them about 5-6 feet away from the front of the stove propped up. It really helps dry them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.