How do your store your 'chunk' wood (and share pics if you have them)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myzamboni

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2007
Silicon Valley
Over the summer I have accumulated a pile of 'chunk' wood. These are the 3-6 inch length cut-offs from bucking and other odd bits. It cannot be stacked(at least not in a timely fashion) and I was looking to see what y'all use for storage. I was thinkg of making a 'box' using pallets for a base and walls, but I know someone on here has a beter solution.

Thanks! in advance for your ideas and pics.

I do exactly what you noted -- use a "box" made from pallets. The only problem is the older, more seasoned wood is at the bottom of the pile, with the newest additions on top. Short of emptying the thing, there's no easy way to get to the stuff I'll want to burn this season.

I store mine on the top of the piles. Having chucks is a real PITA but I take what I can get.

Notice in this picture how the bases of the piles are all nice and uniform and the tops are thinner?

IMG_1713.jpg

Catskill, your' chunks' look like my regular splits.

I guess the pallet box is still the front-runner. I will burn it all this season so it won't be a concern about getting to the seasoned stuff. These little chunks, being pine, will be more that seasoned by the time I start burning.

I do what Cats was leading to. When I stack in the shed, I leave the odds/chunks/uglies and stack/place on top of the regular stuff. Then start stacking the next row. Then that row gets the uglies and move to the next row.

That way, as I move through the rows during the season, with each new row I have a small selection of uglies to burn up.

Nice stacking job Catskills.

I just trhow mine in a wood box. A box made out of pallets is a good idea.

I put mine on the top of the tacks or inbetween the rows. I just throw them in there

Yer talkin' 'bout stuff like this, right, Zambo? Rick

EDIT: Of course I mean the stuff in the cheapo blue tubs, not the stacked (gulp!) pine.

Attachments

• chunks.jpg
    chunks.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,545
As I build my stacks, I'm setting the chunks aside to be put on top when I'm done. I'm doing the same thing with the hopelessly deformed pieces that will just not work in the regular stack. It's actually nice to have a chunk once in a while when trying to make one of the weird twisted or otherwise malformed splits fit sensibly on the pile. I'll use a chunk to prop up one end so I can continue stacking a relatively level pile.

fossil said:

You do this on purpose, don't you? What the hell did you do, plane the edges of your stacks?? :lol:

We do our outdoor cooking over wood so the chunks are sacrificed to the BBQ gods.

Jags said:
...You do this on purpose, don't you? What the hell did you do, plane the edges of your stacks?? :lol:

Belt sander. Planing end grain is a losing game. :coolsmile: Rick

BrotherBart said:
We do our outdoor cooking over wood so the chunks are sacrificed to the BBQ gods.

And you can "file" that under good info.

Edit: and BBQ from what I hear.

I like to store them in the bonfire pit. Who says you can only enjoy fires in the winter:)

The very tops of my rows of stacked wood are what I call the wood loony bin...the place where all the really twisted guys go. All the little chunks and splitter trash and everything else goes into a bin or a trash can or whatever. During the burning season I go through lots of that stuff...for kindling or just for outright fuel, especially in my shop stove, depending on how big it is. I don't ever burn wood just to be getting rid of it. I don't have an outside fire pit, though one day I might, I like an outside fire on a cool evening as well as anyone. Rick

that reminds me, I need to start my kindling piles. I have a whole room full of rough sawn hemlock from when my house was remodeled and my garage was built. Thye are perfect kindling size and cant really be used for much else. They make for an easy start to a fire and are neat and clean. I usually bundle them up in some bailing twine and bring a bundle in at a time and leave it under my wood ring.

fossil said:

EDIT: Of course I mean the stuff in the cheapo blue tubs, not the stacked (gulp!) pine.

Yes, this is another good approach. I just don't want to pony up for a dozen totes. Maybe I'll use a couple plastic trash cans. I lke the ease of movement feature.

Sometimes you can get a heck of a deal on these tubs at Lowe's or wherever. They're not the deluxe "Rubbermaid" brand, and they're really pretty reasonably priced. I like being able to take a tub here and another there and just use it up right out of the tub. Rick

I burn mine in campfires. I put in a nice pit this spring out of field stone I found laying aroung my land, and it gets a fair amount of use.

The pic is before it was complete. I filled in the spaces with pea gravel. It turned out pretty cool.

Attachments

• Fire ring.JPG
    Fire ring.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 964
fossil said:
Sometimes you can get a heck of a deal on these tubs at Lowe's or wherever. They're not the deluxe "Rubbermaid" brand, and they're really pretty reasonably priced. I like being able to take a tub here and another there and just use it up right out of the tub. Rick

You and Jags should be able to get you whole season's firewood into one seabag apiece. ;-)

BrotherBart said:
...You and Jags should be able to get you whole season's firewood into one seabag apiece. ;-)

Yeah, although I suspect I'd prob'ly need a little help trying to heft a seabag with 7 cords of wood in it. Hell, these days I'd need a little help just trying to heft the seabag I used to heft. :lol: Rick

I do the same as others on here in regards to funky shaped pieces. I place them on the tops of my stacks so they don't cause instability problems on the bottom or in the middle.

I've been using the smaller pieces to make middle rows to my stacks (I stack everything in the cris-cross pattern) that are thinner than other rows. I stack on pallets, so to ensure everything is uniform, I stack the short pieces "horizontally" (if you're looking at the pallet in front of you) and the verticals are just normal pieces. This results in every other row being a row of short pieces, so it turns out to be a mix for that "column". It seems to work well, and allows me to have uniform stacks (my OCD requires me to have nice, even stacks)...

We make two rows on a pallet with about 12 inches between them, Then we use the space in the middle to fill up with chunks. Of course if the chunks (or the splits) are white pine we bring them to the landfill. But we wont be doing this anymore after my last thread.

BrotherBart said:
You and Jags should be able to get you whole season's firewood into one seabag apiece. ;-)

The trick is getting it folded properly, especially with hard woods. :)

I throw mine on a pile. Cover it up prior to winter. Keep a loaded 55 gal. drum full of it on the porch to burn in the Jotul.

Status
Not open for further replies.