How does a ceiling support and trim adapter give one the required clearance from the stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have downloaded the manuals for the duravent line of Pipe and acc. and cannot see how one can gain the neccessary clearance to the combustible ceiling, with out putting a short piece of HT chimney pipe just below the ceiling support. I will be using DVL pipe so my clearances will be 6". But if the ceiling drywall is cut 2" all around the Ht chimney pipe ,doesn't that put the top of the stove pipe to close to combustibles , even with the adapter trim ring? Or is the bottom and top of the ceiling support threaded to accept HT pipe above and below. I have trusses on a 2/12 roof and they are not exactly 24" on center...but fairly close.
Thanks all, Joe

As they say with Ragu sauce "it's all in there"........the ceiling support itself is engineered to allow single or double wall interior pipe to connect to the HT chimney, and you do not have to worry about the clearances. Stated more accurately, if single wall pipe hooked to an HT chimney in a ceiling support is less than 18" diagonally to the flat ceiling sheetrock or to the framing though the support - it does not matter - it is an engineered system and if you hook up according to specs you are OK.

Do the HT sections of pipe merely sit on the ceiling support or are they screwed in the ceiling support? I think all the Simpson ceiling supports systems are 14-1/2 X14-1/2" so a little rudimentary carpentry will be neccessary to provide support for the chimney ceiling support.

I have determined that my HT Chimney pipe will only need to protrude 5' above my roof as it is a low 2 on 12" pitched roof. I assume that the 2' above the ridge refers only to Chimney and not to chimney with a rain cap installed. Is this correct? Also i plan to brace the chimney with a bracket screwed in to the rafters in an attempt to stop the massive amounts of snow we get up here in the foothills of the White mountains, but I also intend to be looking in the meantime for a chimney cricket, maybe made of bronzed aluminum. It should'nt be too much of a problem with a 2 on 12 roof.

Thanks so much...you guys have saved me hundreds of dollars and hours of worry and agravation, Joe

Attachments

• over copy 1.jpg
    over copy 1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 203
All the systems I have seen - the pipe just sits there...usually a little rim to hold it. Some systems (most?) have a dripless adapter or pipe adapter which can be inserted into the bottom piece of HT chimney and this then extends down through the ceiling support. At least that is what I am most familiar with (Selkirk, etc.)....

Way back when, it used to be tough to hook up to HT - the pipe was up inside the ceiling support and nothing to hook to!

Most companies should have a specified way that the interior double wall meets the HT - like a pipe adapter as I mentioned, etc.

I just used the supervent kit and that is exactly how mine is. They connect through the chimney to stove pipe adaptor which hangs down through the ceiling. Very easy installation

Status
Not open for further replies.