1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How Does a Newbie Find Firewood on Long Island, NY?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by drewsome, Feb 7, 2010.

1. bsig31r

bsig31r New Member

Loc:
    VA Beach
    Drew,

The start up process is kind of aggrevating, but stick with it. Start gathering the basic processing tools (Fiskars Super Splitting Axe, maul, chainsaw) while looking for wood. This is my first year and I feel behind the power curve, but the hunt for firewood has been fun. I think I am finished gathering for this season, but will continue to look for next seasons wood. Don't forget uhaul if you don't have a truck.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. darrylg

darrylg New Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    I am bumping this thread because I would like to find a reputable firewood place in Suffolk. I can't seem to find Jim's firewood on craigslist anymore.
  3. hlozada1

hlozada1 New Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    I agree. The firewood on LI it terrible. I switched to the envi block. They burn hotter and cleaner. I used them to help burn my semi seasoned firewood that was supposed to be seasoned.
  4. kenwit

kenwit Member

Loc:
    long island
    There is a guy (John) on Jericho Turnpike at the nassau/suffolk border. He sells by the row. 16'', 18'', 20'', or 24'' 2' X 4' X 8' for $100- He has seasoned wood. I can't think of the name of the business. Something farms. Maybe Eileen from Ridge will know, he is also a horse guy. I can post the phone # tomorrow if your interested. Ken
  5. darrylg

darrylg New Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    My stove mentions that I shouldn't burn "unnatural" wood, or even kiln dried wood, so I'm a bit hesitant to use the envi block.
  6. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Apologize if this has already been suggested. Make contact with a fellow heath member and make a benificial swap.
    Try posting an ad to cut up downed trees or pick up unwanted firewood for free.
    Sometimes people are selling their house or have purchased a house and just want to get rid of it. It happens all the time.
  7. darrylg

darrylg New Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    If he delivers out to Port Jefferson, then yes please. Thanks Ken
  8. kenwit

kenwit Member

Loc:
    long island
    He does deliver, I'm sure there is a charge. I thought you were in Queens?
  9. darrylg

darrylg New Member

Loc:
    Long Island
  10. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I have access to an excellent firewood guy . He lives in Yaphank., and delivers in his F250 built up w/racks on the side, and it's mounded. I was quite happy. I bought 2 cords, and am looking at 3 more. So if you use him, remember I need some, too.

PM me if interested. He has no computer, and works off of his cell phone, which I won't post on the 'net. His card, is sitting on my desk, however. I know he's delivered to Mount Sinai, Calverton & Eastport, amongst others.
  11. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    Ok fellow long Islanders,

I have found a good source for firewood. I just got 2 cords all hardwood, split and delivered $100/cord. No joke. Here is a thread with pics.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/76058/

It worked out pretty well. The wood is not seasoned. Although the guy will tell you it is. And some of the splits were super small like sort of unfit for stacking. But at that price it's a steal. PM me for the info if you're interested.

And just for the record, it's not me or one of my friends or something shadey. I just don't want to post this guy's info on the web without his consent.

Dominick
  12. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    Brilliant buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I could buy hardwood for $100 a cord, I'd probably not even bother cutting my own.

I'd be tempted to buy two or three years supply now to let some season fully if I had the space.......

I certainly wouldn't worry about it being described as seasoned at that price ;-)
  13. Oldmainer

Oldmainer Member

Loc:
    southern maine
    Hi drewsome...I would consider burning Bio-Bricks until you get your wood supply situation lined out. I have never used them...but am sure there are some on the list that have...and maybe they will chime in with more info about them. Franklin
  14. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    Oldmainer's got a good point. However, I've never tried them.

What I've been doing when I have to burn green wood is split it small and I mix construction debris (2X4s, end cuts from trim, hardwood flooring burns super hot, or pallet wood). This does take a considerable amount of time to gather and cut, but it's free. I'm a carpenter so I have access to a lot of this.

It's not optimal, but it beats burning oil.
  15. hlozada1

hlozada1 New Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    I’v e used the envi blocks. Love them. I mixed them with the unseasoned firewood I was told was seasoned. They BTU’s they generate are amazing.
    The Bio bricks are too small for me and burn faster. They were very dusty. The packs are too large to handle.
  16. 8686

8686 New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    Hey guys, figured I'd open this up again. OP, how have you made out with your wood experience? I just bought a house in Pt. Jefferson Station, Long Island, NY. First time fireplace owner. When we moved in (In August '13) we cut down a bunch of trees and I stacked it in the round thinking it would be ready for December 14. I'm told it won't be. It's oak. I am learning a lot though.

So now come spring (in a month) I need to start looking for places to deliver wood to my house. After looking around it seems there is quite a bit of "scamming" when it comes to the word "seasoned". Most people suggest getting the wood delivered in spring the winter before (like I am hoping to do soon) so that even if it is not entirely seasoned, you can stack it and let it sit for a good 8 months before you burn it in winter.

Where to get wood? And how much is a fair price for a cord? Longislandfirewood in Riverhead has the kiln dried stuff but someone here said it was expensive and their website currently says closed starting feb 28 (!?!).

I'm just looking for a fair price on some "almost" seasoned wood. And, how does it come delivered? Do they just leave a pallet in your driveway?

Thanks everyone.
  17. Craig S.

Craig S. Member

Loc:
    Smithtown, New York
    Did a ton of the envi-block mixed with firewood to get me through this season. I did buy a bit from an older local guy in Huntington about 3 months ago and I was very happy ... the wood was well seasoned and ready to burn. Not the cheapest guy around, and he will charge for delivery, but seasoned wood is hard to find around here once it starts to get cold.
  18. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Wow, 4 yr old thread.
    AmarilloSlim likes this.
  19. 8686

8686 New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    So....
  20. 8686

8686 New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    How much?
  21. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I just bought a 3 pack of the bio bricks from Tractor supply. 3.49 .
    They weight around 6.6 lbs each. And claim to be equivalent to 14 lbs of firewood.
    I compared the cost and weight to a cord of dried sugar maple.
    You will need 267 if you go by the equivalent weight. If you go by actual weight its 467.
    Costing either 310.77 or 543.70
    A cord of sugar maple weighs 3740 lbs dried.
  22. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I imagine some people hang onto seasoned wood. I was thinking of selling facecords of dry oak for 150.00 facecord.
    But probably wont.
  23. 8686

8686 New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    Whats a face cord?
  24. Soundchasm

Soundchasm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    I know this isn't the question you asked, but make sure your Rockland is installed with plenty of insulation and a blockoff plate. My insert went into a cavernous masonry hole, and I'm convinced my heat is going straight up and out. I'll get it corrected in 2014, but my installer did NOT get me a "sub-zero" kind of installation. It may not be preposterous for me to imagine the same heat with half the wood, or twice the heat with the same wood. Either way, it's a waste of effort and money for the fuel if you can't get the heat into the house.

I read a specific post where the owner of "our" stove described a night and day difference. So, save your back, your time and your cash before you even put the thing in! Keep us posted. :)
  25. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    That's where I'm at with the Buck, but the install is good, got a Roxul batt over the stove and it's an interior chimney. My problem is the stove room; Pretty sure there's no insulation in the attic over the "three-season room"....I'll have to cut some roof decking to get in there. And there's glass on three and a half walls of the room, with weak storm windows. I just discovered that there is a small row of windows all the way around above the regular windows, hidden by a short curtain. That's just single-pane. !!! I'll stop ranting now....it's just that your "waste of effort" statement struck a 'chord' with me. Gotta get more heat out of that room for all the work I put in cutting wood.
    But yeah 86, I would try to get some from the guy that Craig S. mentioned and stack it in a windy spot where a lot of air can blow through it (not in a solid block.) Sounds like it might be pretty good by next fall. That will give your Oak a chance to dry out for the following year. Are you going to put a stove on that hearth and install a liner, or just let all your heat and money go up the fireplace chimney? ;)
    1/3 of a full cord, if it's cut to 16".